What info can a Sim Card Reader read?

What information is a typical usb/serial PC Simcard Reader able to
read?

What I really want is to be able to get an 'electronic' copy of the
simcard number (the long number printed on the back of the sim card)

If they generally don't, does anyone know if there is another way of
'scanning' a sim card so I can identify it in a database?

Thanks

Nick
1 answer Last reply
More about what info card reader read

    On 9 Feb 2005 08:29:27 -0800, "Nick H" <nickholmes@email.com> wrote:

    >What information is a typical usb/serial PC Simcard Reader able to
    >read?
    >
    >What I really want is to be able to get an 'electronic' copy of the
    >simcard number (the long number printed on the back of the sim card)
    >
    >If they generally don't, does anyone know if there is another way of
    >'scanning' a sim card so I can identify it in a database?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Nick
    To be honest, the SIM card number is not useful. I'd be surprised if
    SIM readers coldn't read it out for you. It isn't all that useful.

    It will NOT allow you to clone the card. There is an encryption in the
    sim, and it is unique to each SIM, and provides much of GSM security.
    When a phone attempts to register, it sends the SIM number. That
    number is sent back to the owning carrier, who generate either 1 or 3
    challenge messages. For each challenge message, there is an 'expected'
    reply. the Challenge message goes through the encryption algorithm on
    the SIM, and is sent back as the reply to the challenge message. If
    the reply matches the expected reply, you register, otherwise you
    don't.

GSM SIM Card USB electronics