Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card stuttering constantly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2011 3:37:38 PM

Hello forum,
I have an ASUS 6950 2GB which stutters on even the most basic games
I used FurMark to benchmark it, and it only got 2001 points, which means something has got to be wrong
I've tried reinstalling Audio, graphics card and chipset drivers, but all to no avail
I'm at a loss of what to do for this, any help or advice would be appreciated
December 10, 2011 3:40:27 PM

My setup is as follows;
ASUS M4A88T-M
ASUS 6950 DirectCUii 2GB
Phenom ii 965
Only ran into this problem within the last month, and usually removing all traces of the GPU drivers and reinstalling did the trick for the say, but now even that doesn't seem to stop the stuttering and low performance
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 3:54:29 PM

Hello & Welcome.
What games do you play ? at what resolution ? how many FPS do you get ?
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 4:04:41 PM

when you installed the AMD driver you also installed the sound driver. try unistalling the ATI sound driver and see wha6t happens.
December 10, 2011 4:13:10 PM

Thanks iylsaml
I usually play a variety of games, but even loading things like Serious Sam 1/2 HD it stutters when moving, not sure on the specific FPS, haven't ran a counter on it yet, but moving around or firing frames drop tremendously
Here's a link to the FurMark score if you're interested http://i40.tinypic.com/10h9atx.jpg
swifty_morgan all I have installed is the display driver and the vision control center
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 4:17:32 PM

what do you have for memory ? is it in the right slots to run in "ganged" mode/and is it running in ganged mode ? is it volted correctly ? and is it running at the speed it's supposed to ?

list system specs and opsys.
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 4:19:29 PM

is the monitor running at the right resolution and is the refresh rate correct ?
December 10, 2011 4:21:34 PM

Kingston ValueRAM (2x2GB) and Corsair Classic XMS (2x2GB), default clock speeds and voltages
I understand the term "ganged", I just have no idea if my system is or not, aha
I would assume I would find out by looking at the bios?
December 10, 2011 4:22:41 PM

Yes, both monitors are running smoothly, both at 1920 x 1080, 60Hz
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 4:28:21 PM

yes, BIOS.
December 10, 2011 4:38:58 PM

This may be an obvious one, but have you defragmented your drive lately if these games are indeed on a mechanical hdd? I had the same problem recently and it turns out my drive was just a mess from downloading Batman, MW3 and SWTOR.
December 10, 2011 4:48:29 PM

Checked the BIOS, unganged at the moment
soloburrito I always do those steps, except I boot normally
And Sicktir3d currently the HDD I use has 3% fragmentation, aha
So I'm stumped, I've had this build since May, no problems till late November, rolled back my drivers to 11.10, just about to test some games and FurMark
December 10, 2011 5:04:40 PM

Still having the same stuttering in Serious Sam, but to less of a degee, and Crysis 2 can actually load the menu now, as it couldn't with the 11.11 drivers, which is such progress for a card costing over £200
Still stuck at around 2000 in FurMark too
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 5:10:36 PM

go into the BIOS and disable the hybrid crossfire............ the unganged/ganged......... change it to ganged ( dual channel mode )
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 5:31:22 PM

Download FRAPS and see how avg FPS do you get in each of those games at ultra settings.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 5:36:14 PM

jamesstanworth said:

So I'm stumped, I've had this build since May, no problems till late November, rolled back my drivers to 11.10, just about to test some games and FurMark

Did the problem start out of the blue or did it happen after you made some changes to drivers/hardware/OC etc?

"Stuttering" may not necessarily show up in the "FPS". When one of my old 8800GTX's started to die it started stuttering and becoming choppy as well, but the FPS was still fine. A month or so later it black-screened while playing a game and that was it.

If it happened out of the blue with no other changes then I'd RMA it, it probably has started to die.
December 10, 2011 5:50:14 PM

Energy96 said:
Did the problem start out of the blue or did it happen after you made some changes to drivers/hardware/OC etc?

"Stuttering" may not necessarily show up in the "FPS". When one of my old 8800GTX's started to die it started stuttering and becoming choppy as well, but the FPS was still fine. A month or so later it black-screened while playing a game and that was it.

If it happened out of the blue with no other changes then I'd RMA it, it probably has started to die.

I honestly don't know, I could probably try a reinstallation of Windows if that may help, it seems to have times when things run almost completely smooth, and other times where it's choppy and stuttering, to get to the former I usually have to remove and reinstall drivers, but that can't be the way to use it, aha
Problem is, I had a 4890 that died, sent away for a replacement and got this, which they said is under the 4890's warranty, so RMA is not an option for me
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 6:37:37 PM

so, did you disable the hybrid cross fire or disable the on board graphics ?
December 10, 2011 7:16:02 PM

Disabled the on board graphics, seems to be running smoother now, I also changed the AM from unganged to ganged, I'll post again in a few days, see if it hold up
Appreciate all the help guys
!