Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6850 Crossfire setup no perf. increase

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 10, 2011 5:44:01 PM

So it's been a little over a week since I got my 2nd card and installed it. I see no increase in performance within any game I play. Surely this can't be right. Everything was installed correctly, the CF Bridge works, the cards are seated, the drivers are installed, a profile was enabled in CCC, CFX is enabled in CCC, and the cards are the same. There is no bottleneck on my machine. So please if you guys know something I do not i'd be glad to hear it. (yes i've installed drivers, many, many times.)

Games I'm benching on: All on ultra settings

Skyrim - 15 fps
BF3 - 20- 25 fps
Saints Row The Third - 40 - 60 fps

GPUz show's both cards
Related resources
December 10, 2011 7:38:53 PM

what cpu do you have? sounds like a cpu bottleneck. Also what PSU do you have? its possible the cards arent getting enough power.
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 7:56:18 PM

@ Iam2thecrowe : It's not a bottleneck. 1090T @ 3.5 PSU = Corsair AX850 Gold

@ Dogsnake : I installed the latest drivers

@ Spentshells : That is a dead link
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 8:09:30 PM

Sorry about that. I was not aware it was a dead link it was a link to the same thing dogsnake linked to.
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 8:21:31 PM

Thanks I will try that and see if it fixes it. :) 
m
0
l
December 10, 2011 11:04:45 PM

Updated from 11.11 to 11.11c and it caused more problems. I get weird colors in skyrim and odd tones. Same FPS (Forum wouldn't let me edit my last post idk why)
m
0
l
December 11, 2011 3:27:09 PM

Try running one card only. Do this for both cards. It would help to know if they perform correctly as singles (stand alone). At this point it is hard to say if it is a driver or hardware issue. What MB are you using and which slots are the cards in?
m
0
l
December 11, 2011 10:46:27 PM

Cards run fine in a single card setup. The mb i'm using is an Asus Crosshair Forumula V. Both of the cards are in the x16 slots.
m
0
l
December 12, 2011 12:57:15 AM

It sounds more that some games aren't optimized for CrossFire, especially DirectX ones since they need an Profile, OpenGL games trend to be more flexible and work with SLI and CrossFire no matter what...
m
0
l
December 12, 2011 12:58:29 AM

Also, for the "weird colors in skyrim and odd tones" it is the new drivers that causes this, other ppl have this problem too in Skyrim in the latest drivers, I recommend you to revert your old working driver.

-Hope it helps! :) 
m
0
l
December 12, 2011 2:41:33 AM

bloc97 said:
It sounds more that some games aren't optimized for CrossFire, especially DirectX ones since they need an Profile, OpenGL games trend to be more flexible and work with SLI and CrossFire no matter what...


Yeah that's kind of what I was beginning to think, it's unfortunate but oh well.
m
0
l
December 12, 2011 2:59:09 AM

Have you try benching using 3dMark11 or Unigine heaven? Or Possibly, another games?

Compare it into the single card system. I think there should be an Increase.
m
0
l
December 12, 2011 9:36:12 AM

LCBChef18 said:
@ Iam2thecrowe : It's not a bottleneck. 1090T @ 3.5 PSU = Corsair AX850 Gold

@ Dogsnake : I installed the latest drivers

@ Spentshells : That is a dead link

for skyrim, any AMD cpu is a bottleneck. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-... a single 6850 can max this game out at 1080p, its extremely cpu bound and doesnt take advantage of lots of cores. but you should be getting more than 15fps.
m
0
l
December 12, 2011 10:14:12 AM

cpu bottleneck for sure.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 2:27:34 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
for skyrim, any AMD cpu is a bottleneck. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-... a single 6850 can max this game out at 1080p, its extremely cpu bound and doesnt take advantage of lots of cores. but you should be getting more than 15fps.



Yes I should, but I also run a lot of mods along with the game.* I've noticed that it's the shaders and the extra grids I have it load but damn it just looks so good :S. I think i'll have to sacrifice some of the extra grids for the up in performance. I'd OC my CPU a bit higher but I have it on air right now because my pc is on almost 24/7 hosting a small server in the background. I'm quite surprised to see how heavy the game runs on the cpu...

*Enlarged Textures, ENB series shaders, Skyrim 4GB, Edited .ini file.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 3:34:19 AM

LCBChef18 said:
Yes I should, but I also run a lot of mods along with the game.* I've noticed that it's the shaders and the extra grids I have it load but damn it just looks so good :S. I think i'll have to sacrifice some of the extra grids for the up in performance. I'd OC my CPU a bit higher but I have it on air right now because my pc is on almost 24/7 hosting a small server in the background. I'm quite surprised to see how heavy the game runs on the cpu...

*Enlarged Textures, ENB series shaders, Skyrim 4GB, Edited .ini file.


people overclock those to 4.0 on air.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 3:36:27 AM

cbrunnem said:
people overclock those to 4.0 on air.


Then I am not "people." I am "LCBChef18" The guy that built a budget pc for gaming and wants his rig to last.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 4:12:44 AM

LCBChef18 said:
Then I am not "people." I am "LCBChef18" The guy that built a budget pc for gaming and wants his rig to last.


If it was a budget operation you should have avoided the CM v8
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 4:14:31 AM

LCBChef18 said:
Then I am not "people." I am "LCBChef18" The guy that built a budget pc for gaming and wants his rig to last.


ignorance is a bliss they say
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 4:27:45 AM

@ Spentshells: Please, humor me.

@ cbrunnem: What do they say for arrogant assholes with a lack of grammar? Look mate, you didn't have to post on my thread, if the fact that I didn't Oc my cpu to 4.whatever offends you, don't post. Otherwise you're just making an ass of yourself :) 
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 5:07:18 AM

LCBChef18 said:
@ Spentshells: Please, humor me.

@ cbrunnem: What do they say for arrogant assholes with a lack of grammar? Look mate, you didn't have to post on my thread, if the fact that I didn't Oc my cpu to 4.whatever offends you, don't post. Otherwise you're just making an ass of yourself :) 


have you read forum rules, no inflated conversations, using of abusive language etc. the people helping you out have more experience then you , dont use such bad language or ready to get yourself banned
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 5:07:45 AM

ignorance isnt an insult, you cant help what you dont know. your asking a 1gb mid range card with a mid level cpu to do to much. you should be getting 40-45ish frames average at ultra from what the links show then with mods 20 isnt out of the possibility
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 7:11:05 AM

LCBChef18 said:
@ Spentshells: Please, humor me.

@ cbrunnem: What do they say for arrogant assholes with a lack of grammar? Look mate, you didn't have to post on my thread, if the fact that I didn't Oc my cpu to 4.whatever offends you, don't post. Otherwise you're just making an ass of yourself :) 


Humor returned, I am sorry about that chum. Let's sort this out.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 12:56:03 PM

How are you testing frame rate in Skyrim?
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 9:09:02 PM

Ok. I want to make a BIG point here: While waiting for my FX-8150, I used both a 1100T and a 965BE. In BF3 and Crysis, the 965 performed better than the 1100T did.

This is because Core scheduling is not very good for 6-core AMD CPUs. What made a difference though, was setting the affinity in both games to only allow cores 0, 1, 2, and 3. That made the games act as if it was a quad core. To do that, I went into Task Manager, right clicked on the task (bf3.exe, crysis.exe) and clicked on affinity. Than I just disabled the last two cores. I hope this works for you, as it did for me.
m
0
l
December 14, 2011 1:43:53 AM

@Dogs ake: Fraps... :S
@FtsArTek: I'll definitely try that out, thank you for your input :) 
m
0
l
December 14, 2011 8:54:25 AM

FtsArTek said:
Ok. I want to make a BIG point here: While waiting for my FX-8150, I used both a 1100T and a 965BE. In BF3 and Crysis, the 965 performed better than the 1100T did.

This is because Core scheduling is not very good for 6-core AMD CPUs. What made a difference though, was setting the affinity in both games to only allow cores 0, 1, 2, and 3. That made the games act as if it was a quad core. To do that, I went into Task Manager, right clicked on the task (bf3.exe, crysis.exe) and clicked on affinity. Than I just disabled the last two cores. I hope this works for you, as it did for me.

i hope you also know that an FX8150 will be slower for gaming than both the mentioned phenom CPU's.
m
0
l
!