Sign in with
Your question

Build for CGI and 3D modeling

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2012 8:29:16 PM

What do you all think would be an optimal build for a machine made for CGI and 3D modeling? Currently, I have an alienware M14x with an extra monitor. Neither of them are HD, but I'm scooting along just fine currently, however, when I get my career in CGI started, it is important that I have a powerful computer pointed in the direction of 3D rendering. What do you all think? Would be great if you could include displays in your list!

More about : build cgi modeling

February 8, 2012 8:57:17 PM

Hello doclolwut;

Have you set a budget for this project?

You probably want to move over to the Systems > New Build section of the forums.

If you fill out the form in *How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll answer all the standard questions that help things get started.
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:00:40 PM

If you have a career in 3d, you will only work on company computers unless you're a freelancer. And only work on your own computer for personal projects. When filling out the form, you may want to state what renderer.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2012 7:48:58 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
February 10, 2012 4:37:11 PM

Well, I don't have a specific budget right now, but I'm guessing in the ballpark of $3,000 to $4,000 bucks. Right now, I am a freelancer, but going to school for Media, and plan to set up my own studio for CGI and animation. I'm just modeling for fun right now, but wouldn't mind making it my career. I use Indigo renderer, POV ray renderer, Blender renderer, Cycles renderer, the standard Maya renderer, and so forth. I just used a renderer that best suites the job, but keeping in time the render time as well. I also make some video games, but that's more of a sub-sub-focus for my CGI. My current computer has a GT 555M GPU, It has an i5 2430M CPU and 8 gigs of ram at 1600 Mhz. The laptops screen itself has a resolution of 1366 by 768 and my second monitor is a 21 inch monitor. I don't exactly remember the resolution.
m
l
!