Sign in with
Your question

Help me cool down my Phenom II X4 955BE.

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2012 7:32:13 PM

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE C2 125W CPU and as of late it has been reaching some very high temps. Idling at the desktop, it idles at 47-48C. While gaming, the temperature has reached as high as 71C. This is the highest I've ever seen since I built my computer almost exactly 3 years ago. In the past, it would momentarily reach as high as 65C, which that didn't really bother me that much. AMD specifies 62C as the max temp for this CPU, but I figured this is a rather conservative rating.

71C on the other hand is pushing the thermal envelope. I'm not really sure what the true max temp is, but it can't be that much higher than that. Also, even at these temps, there are no signs of instability or slowdowns, no errors, no beeps, and no shutdowns. I am using HWMonitor to read the temps.

For starters, I'm going to blow the case out(haven't done that in over a year) and apply new thermal compound and see if that helps. I am not overclocked and I am using the stock HSF.

More about : cool phenom 955be

a b à CPUs
May 25, 2012 7:37:56 PM

3 year old paste is probably a bit dead also the fan may be a bit past its best. Try the paste and blow out like you said 1st if that doesn't help alot try a new fan on the heatsink.
May 25, 2012 11:03:44 PM

Another thing I thought I could do is since I'm not overclocked and don't plan on overclocking is undervolting my CPU. CPU-Z currently reports 1.344V at max load. What would be a good starting undervoltage and at what decrements should I use?
Related resources
a c 119 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 11:59:52 PM

to reduce temps take it off auto for voltage and run it at the minimum listed on the amd site. i think its between 1.3 and 1.45v...
also the stock cooler has to be clean for it to work effectively. 3rd party heatsyncs give much more headroom for dust buildup. so remove the stock heatsync when you get some replacement paste... (tuniqtx-4 actic mx-2 to mx-4 or silver 5 are all good pastes and well worth the £5-£6/$7-$8...) take off the fan and use a long haired paint brush and push it between the fins of the cooler to get all the dust out. replace the fan and then mount the hsf with new paste.
your temps should go back down to 30-35 which is about where they should be on the stock hsf.
May 26, 2012 1:08:12 AM

HEXiT said:
to reduce temps take it off auto for voltage and run it at the minimum listed on the amd site. i think its between 1.3 and 1.45v...
also the stock cooler has to be clean for it to work effectively. 3rd party heatsyncs give much more headroom for dust buildup. so remove the stock heatsync when you get some replacement paste... (tuniqtx-4 actic mx-2 to mx-4 or silver 5 are all good pastes and well worth the £5-£6/$7-$8...) take off the fan and use a long haired paint brush and push it between the fins of the cooler to get all the dust out. replace the fan and then mount the hsf with new paste.
your temps should go back down to 30-35 which is about where they should be on the stock hsf.

This is the product page for my CPU(C2 stepping): http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...

0.875-1.5V is what it says for voltages. Would 1.3V be a good starting point?
May 26, 2012 5:35:09 PM

Well I just blew my case out and now I'm idling at 43-44C at the desktop and I haven't seen anything over 60C while gaming. Looks like the dust in the HSF was slowing the fan down cuz HWMonitor was showing a max of ~6500RPM and now it's showing a max of ~6900RPM. In fact, I can hear it spinning faster. I think I'll pass on changing the thermal compound. I'm quite happy with these results.

Amazing what a case blowout can do! lol

A pic:

http://i45.tinypic.com/206f0ut.jpg
a c 103 à CPUs
May 26, 2012 7:29:59 PM

Terry1212 said:
Another thing I thought I could do is since I'm not overclocked and don't plan on overclocking is undervolting my CPU. CPU-Z currently reports 1.344V at max load. What would be a good starting undervoltage and at what decrements should I use?

I run a 975bE (Same chip basically) on 3.6GHz at 1.3125v, I'd have thought you could get a touch lower on the juice, which will help bring temps down more,
you are right on the dustbunnies causing havoc though, keep it clean :) 
Moto
July 6, 2013 4:28:11 AM

Terry1212 said:
Well I just blew my case out and now I'm idling at 43-44C at the desktop and I haven't seen anything over 60C while gaming. Looks like the dust in the HSF was slowing the fan down cuz HWMonitor was showing a max of ~6500RPM and now it's showing a max of ~6900RPM. In fact, I can hear it spinning faster. I think I'll pass on changing the thermal compound. I'm quite happy with these results.

Amazing what a case blowout can do! lol

A pic:

http://i45.tinypic.com/206f0ut.jpg

Hi there, dont know if you are going to read this cause its been a year. but tell me what exactly do you mean by blowing out your case?
Have the same cpu and sometimes issues with core temp, so i'm curious. thanks for the answer
!