Help Please! Do i need a better PSU?

bradderzd1994

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I just got a new graphics card.

I got a Radeon 6870

I heard it needs a 500W PSU.

I currently have a 450W but i understand it may be straining my GPU and i may not be getting the best performance out of it

I have noticed my PSU has been hotter since i got my new GPU.

My current PSU is a Liteon PS-6451-5

Could anyone recommend me a good PSU if needed and one that has two 6pin PCI-e cables thanks!

CT1651 is right in that the PSU is working harder to supply the power your system is demanding with the new GPU. On the other hand, your system is running. Are you experiencing any system stability issues? Locking up, reboots, shutdowns, etc? If you're not having any stability issues and the heat/noise from the PSU is acceptable to you, then you don't need to get a new PSU.

A less expensive option than the M12II in the UK is this XFX Pro 550W: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-psu-xfx-pro-series-core-edition-p1-550s-ukb9-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-at
It's actually made by Seasonic and based on the M12II PSU. I'm not saying you absolutely need a new PSU, but if you decide to go down that road, then this a good option for you.

Rugger asked the key question: Are you experiencing any system stability issues? If not I wouldn't change the PSU.

You will see a lot of misinformation on PSU wattage required for computers. Like you already have "I heard it needs a 500W PSU. " which is absolutely not true.

bradderzd1994

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Well on the website it says i need a 500W psu (required) and i don't know if it's straining it. I overclocked it earlier to try and my pc kept rebooting