Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Battlefield
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2011 7:26:11 PM

I recently purchased a second GTX 560ti to run SLI. It runs fine in almost all games including all source games (left 4 dead 2, portal 2, counter strike source, etc), the witcher 2, dirt 3, cod black ops, etc. The problem comes up when I'm running Battlefield 3 or Bad Company 2.

When I run them in fullscreen they flicker REALLY bad. It appears that every other frame is a black screen (frame rate lowers flickering gets slower). In windowed it works fine but the frame rate drops.

Things I have tried:
Bought a new SLI bridge and it didnt fix the problem (could just be really bad luck and dead on arrival?)
Swapped cards and disabled SLI just to be sure they both worked (they did)
Bought a new PSU, my old one was 600w so I upgraded to an 850w
Plugged my monitor into the other GPU, same results

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, this problem is so annoying, it feels like I've wasted my money.

More about : sli flickering bf3 bc2

December 10, 2011 7:27:56 PM

Nvm, you tried it.
Score
December 10, 2011 7:32:30 PM

What resolution and graphical settings are you trying to run the game at? If you are playing at 1980x1050 or above and trying to run the game with all the settings maxed on 1GB GTX 560 Ti's then you could be running out of VRAM and the textures are taking a bit longer to load in.

If you have the upgraded VRAM GTX 560 Ti's and you are seeing this issue, the only thing I can think of is some sort of driver issue.
Score
Related resources
December 10, 2011 7:37:06 PM

Warmacblu said:
What resolution and graphical settings are you trying to run the game at? If you are playing at 1980x1050 or above and trying to run the game with all the settings maxed on 1GB GTX 560 Ti's then you could be running out of VRAM and the textures are taking a bit longer to load in.

If you have the upgraded VRAM GTX 560 Ti's and you are seeing this issue, the only thing I can think of is some sort of driver issue.

Yes they are 1GB and I am trying to play at 1920x1080 but I have tried other settings with not results. And the thing is I can run Bad Company 2 max settings just fine with one of these cards. As soon as SLI is on though it starts flickering.

If I use the first Nvidia drivers that support my card there is no flickering but I get a terrible frame rates, its barely better (if at all) than a single card.
Score
December 10, 2011 7:40:27 PM

Oh also something interesting: When playing lots of other games they will work perfectly but when I unplug the sli bridge they start flickering exactly like the battlefield games.
Score
December 10, 2011 7:41:46 PM

Hm ... must be some sort of driver issue between Battlefield 3 and SLi.
Score
December 10, 2011 7:50:41 PM

Your issue might be too many frames per second because of the 2nd card. Max out all settings and then turn on vsync. That fixed it for me on my 6970 crossfire.
Score
December 10, 2011 8:04:43 PM

0_o

Weirdest thing. I tried running BF3 on my old LCD monitor (1680x1050) and it works just fine... Looks shitty though compared to my new LED. If I run the game at 1680x1050 on my LED it still flickers so I dont understand... maybe refresh rate?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 8:11:52 PM

most of those games seem to work best with cpu vs gpu, then you post the last 2 games that are gpu more than cpu................. just sayin'................. VRAM lower your settings and res a little. what happens ?
Score
December 10, 2011 8:14:16 PM

Still flickers even on lowest settings at 1024x768 lol
And like I said. On my old LCD monitor at 1680x1050 MAX settings it runs flawlessly (50-60fps)... It has to be something with my monitor I guess
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 8:32:59 PM

ambient occlusion in the games control panel................. in the nvidia control panel, i read something a while back that needed to be disabled or set to a specific setting for the game to work right. so open the panel and start futzinutzin because i can't remember what it was.
Score
December 10, 2011 8:36:19 PM

I switched from a DVI cable to a VGA cable with my LED monitor using an adapter to plug it into the graphics card and the flickering has stopped. I guess that's a temporary fix but I would still like to be able to use DVI...
Score
December 10, 2011 8:52:43 PM

Some general info link -

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/battlefield-3-tw...

I usually leave the nvidia driver's game profile at its default settings, but you can also play with the sli mode, like alternate 1 and 2, and other settings in there. I haven't had any such issues with sli, so I've left them alone for this title.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 8:58:51 PM

Dawisch said:
I switched from a DVI cable to a VGA cable with my LED monitor using an adapter to plug it into the graphics card and the flickering has stopped. I guess that's a temporary fix but I would still like to be able to use DVI...

so, it's a bad cable. easy fix. just get another.
Score
a c 94 Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 9:01:57 PM

Tried this ? new 290.36 Driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-290.36...

My son is using 285.79 .... He's using two Asus 560 Cu TOP 560 Ti's in x16 x16 MoBo, and I just turned down the OC from 1000Mhz to 980 as top card was breaking 82C. He has no flickering issues with 120Hz monitor.

Score
December 10, 2011 9:02:21 PM

Damn, I've actually gotten nowhere. Apparently when SLI is turned on only the primary display uses SLI. Using the VGA cable my LED wasnt set as my "SLI display" so I changed it and the flickering is back.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 9:03:36 PM

What brand 560ti's are you running?
I have the Gigabyte cards and they would flicker, I upgraded the bios by downloading installing and running the bios flasher , once it upgraded the bios to the newer version all the flickering went away and solved my problem. If its not a Gigabyte check your vendors website and see if they have a newer bios to upgrade your cards to.
Turining off AA or AO in the game menu may also help.
Score
December 10, 2011 9:07:23 PM

monsta said:
What brand 560ti's are you running?
I have the Gigabyte cards and they would flicker, I upgraded the bios by downloading installing and running the bios flasher , once it upgraded the bios to the newer version all the flickering went away and solved my problem. If its not a Gigabyte check your vendors website and see if they have a newer bios to upgrade your cards to.
Turining off AA or AO in the game menu may also help.

The 560's are both EVGA. My motherboard is MSI. I could try upgrading my motherboard bios I guess...
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 9:10:09 PM

Upgrade the motherboard bios first , give it a run and see if that helps, if not then go to EVGA and see if they have a bios flash tool to upgrade the bios on your cards.
Goodluck hope this works for you.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 9:11:35 PM

no, the bios on the video cards. and if you do it put 1 card at a time in to do it. and it might be good to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for each card before hand.

good call to the poster on this. forgot all about the bios problems.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 9:21:22 PM

It should be fine to flash them both together , it was really easy to do and only took a couple of minutes and the problem was solved.
Score
December 10, 2011 9:36:03 PM

I cant seem to find EVGA graphics card BIOS. Any idea where I could find them?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 9:39:43 PM

Can't seem to find the bios ones either , contact EVGA and they might be able to help you with it. Theres also a SLI enhancement pack , not sure what it does exactly but have look here -
http://www.evga.com/support/download/default.aspx
Score
December 10, 2011 9:49:41 PM

monsta said:
Can't seem to find the bios ones either , contact EVGA and they might be able to help you with it. Theres also a SLI enhancement pack , not sure what it does exactly but have look here -
http://www.evga.com/support/download/default.aspx

Ya, that didnt help at all. I filed a support ticket to EVGA so hopefully they will send me the bios update.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 10:12:52 PM

OK hope it works out.
Score
December 11, 2011 2:19:24 AM

Go into the forums on evga website under the 500 series cards. The bios update is there.
Score
December 11, 2011 4:56:52 AM

Well I tried that and it didn't fix it :(  any other ideas?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 5:04:40 AM

Really?
Damn , I'm sorry to hear that.
Ok really dumb question , have you tried enabling v sync?
Score
December 11, 2011 5:06:01 AM

monsta said:
Really?
Damn , I'm sorry to hear that.
Ok really dumb question , have you tried enabling v sync?

Yes, I have. I'm not really sure if the bios update is actually working on the cards... it starts to do it and then does something really fast and closes and I cant read what it says since its so fast. It could be an error.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 5:07:46 AM

Ah like a black dos screen?
Score
December 11, 2011 5:19:09 AM

Ya I managed to get a screenshot at just the right moment and it does say "update successful". Something interesting that just happened. I restarted my computer and then launched BF3. There was absolutely no flickering at all! Then I went out of fullscreen to make sure SLI was enabled and it was. I switched it back to fullscreen and... flickering is back. I dont understand why its intermittent like that. I've had it work for a minute or two before only to have the flickering return when I restart the game. It makes me think it might be a heating issue or something.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 5:26:36 AM

Ok you might just have to restart it and play it in fullscreen, and always leave it like that for now just so it doesnt annoy you.
Download MSI Afterburner and you will be able to see the temps and adjust the fan settings. Have a look at the temps to see if there is any problems.
Score
December 11, 2011 5:40:51 AM

Well when I tried doing that a second time it didnt work... my temps after play bf3 for a couple minutes are 60c on one card and 48c on the other. Seems a little high but I wouldn't think it would be that big of a problem.
Score
December 11, 2011 5:47:30 AM

Something I didn't mention, mainly because I don't want to try this solution except as a last resort. I'm running this on a motherboard that technically doesn't support SLI. It is an AMD board that is meant for crossfire. I'm using this to run SLI: http://slipatch.com/

I guess its likely that's the cause of the problem.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 6:11:10 AM

Ah fair enough , well I'm suprised you got this far.
Maybe the best thing to do is just play it always in fullscreen as it seems to not like you switching from it. Is it still flickering when you rebbot it and leave it only on fullscreen?
Score
December 11, 2011 7:09:15 AM

monsta said:
Ah fair enough , well I'm suprised you got this far.
Maybe the best thing to do is just play it always in fullscreen as it seems to not like you switching from it. Is it still flickering when you rebbot it and leave it only on fullscreen?

Ya, it is still flickering when I do that. The thing is all my other games work perfectly and get really good framerates.
I don't know, how do you think a single 580 would compare to two 560ti's? I really wish I could avoid getting a new mobo that supports SLI since that would probably mean switching over to intel and having to buy all new components.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 7:28:35 AM

The 580 is a great card, yes the 560ti SLI is faster , but at least the 580 has 1.5 GB of vram which helps in games like BF3, it still peforms very well as a single card.
I know what you mean about changing motherboards its a pain in the butt, especially for just a game.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 10:37:30 AM

try disabling sli and make the second card your physx card. what happens ?
Score
December 11, 2011 6:34:48 PM

It just ranges from 40-60 fps which is about the same as better than I would get with only 1 card but still I should be getting much better than that for the price I paid :( 
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 6:54:37 PM

it really frosts my balls sometimes when people don't list their specs at the beginning. after some discussion you state that the mother board you're using doesn't officially support sli. But you tried anyways. Kinda dumb from my stand point. Makes me wish I never got involved in this thread. Now you complain it's not enough for the price you paid. should have done your homework ahead of time. That way you could have made better choices and not bothered us because you didn't make wiser purchases knowing what you might want to do. want a faster machine ? get a rip roaring processor and stop buy medium range cards.
Score
December 11, 2011 7:43:41 PM

swifty_morgan said:
it really frosts my balls sometimes when people don't list their specs at the beginning. after some discussion you state that the mother board you're using doesn't officially support sli. But you tried anyways. Kinda dumb from my stand point. Makes me wish I never got involved in this thread. Now you complain it's not enough for the price you paid. should have done your homework ahead of time. That way you could have made better choices and not bothered us because you didn't make wiser purchases knowing what you might want to do. want a faster machine ? get a rip roaring processor and stop buy medium range cards.

I am using a third party patch that makes SLI work and the reason I didnt say that at the start is because I know other people who have officially supported motherboards also have had flickering problems like this. If I had said in the first post "I'm using an unsupported board" I would have got absolutely no suggestions other than "Buy a new motherboard" which is like I said my last resort. And yes I was taking a risk spending the money on two card when I wasn't sure if it would work and I don't mean to complain.

Regardless I will try to be more open in the future as I can see how it would be frustrating for people trying to help.
You have my sincere apologies.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 11, 2011 8:32:56 PM

sorry if i came off rude... the patch...... sometimes things don't work as advertised or involve more than listed in the "read me". sometimes they don't work at all.
Score
December 11, 2011 9:04:17 PM

swifty_morgan said:
sorry if i came off rude... the patch...... sometimes things don't work as advertised or involve more than listed in the "read me". sometimes they don't work at all.

Yes I do realize that, I just hoped that since it works on all my other games maybe it was some problem other than the patch.
Score
February 20, 2012 9:25:29 PM

Dawisch said:
I recently purchased a second GTX 560ti to run SLI. It runs fine in almost all games including all source games (left 4 dead 2, portal 2, counter strike source, etc), the witcher 2, dirt 3, cod black ops, etc. The problem comes up when I'm running Battlefield 3 or Bad Company 2.

When I run them in fullscreen they flicker REALLY bad. It appears that every other frame is a black screen (frame rate lowers flickering gets slower). In windowed it works fine but the frame rate drops.

Things I have tried:
Bought a new SLI bridge and it didnt fix the problem (could just be really bad luck and dead on arrival?)
Swapped cards and disabled SLI just to be sure they both worked (they did)
Bought a new PSU, my old one was 600w so I upgraded to an 850w
Plugged my monitor into the other GPU, same results

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, this problem is so annoying, it feels like I've wasted my money.

Hey Dawisch,
In case you still have not found the solution, I too had this problem... yes I fixed my screen flickering. Here's what I did:
1) I flipped the sli bridge.
2) When I did this... I noticed the connection too the cards was not tight. You can wiggle it, therefore the connection might be lost here and then. The sli bridge bends outward....I tucked it in-between the 2 cards.

After this...... no more problems. Fullscreen or window mode, no screen flickering. Hope this helps you!
Score
a c 173 Î Nvidia
February 20, 2012 10:26:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!