SLI Flickering in BF3 and BC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I recently purchased a second GTX 560ti to run SLI. It runs fine in almost all games including all source games (left 4 dead 2, portal 2, counter strike source, etc), the witcher 2, dirt 3, cod black ops, etc. The problem comes up when I'm running Battlefield 3 or Bad Company 2.

When I run them in fullscreen they flicker REALLY bad. It appears that every other frame is a black screen (frame rate lowers flickering gets slower). In windowed it works fine but the frame rate drops.

Things I have tried:
Bought a new SLI bridge and it didnt fix the problem (could just be really bad luck and dead on arrival?)
Swapped cards and disabled SLI just to be sure they both worked (they did)
Bought a new PSU, my old one was 600w so I upgraded to an 850w
Plugged my monitor into the other GPU, same results

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, this problem is so annoying, it feels like I've wasted my money.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
What resolution and graphical settings are you trying to run the game at? If you are playing at 1980x1050 or above and trying to run the game with all the settings maxed on 1GB GTX 560 Ti's then you could be running out of VRAM and the textures are taking a bit longer to load in.

If you have the upgraded VRAM GTX 560 Ti's and you are seeing this issue, the only thing I can think of is some sort of driver issue.

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Yes they are 1GB and I am trying to play at 1920x1080 but I have tried other settings with not results. And the thing is I can run Bad Company 2 max settings just fine with one of these cards. As soon as SLI is on though it starts flickering.

If I use the first Nvidia drivers that support my card there is no flickering but I get a terrible frame rates, its barely better (if at all) than a single card.

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Oh also something interesting: When playing lots of other games they will work perfectly but when I unplug the sli bridge they start flickering exactly like the battlefield games.

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
0_o

Weirdest thing. I tried running BF3 on my old LCD monitor (1680x1050) and it works just fine... Looks shitty though compared to my new LED. If I run the game at 1680x1050 on my LED it still flickers so I dont understand... maybe refresh rate?

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Still flickers even on lowest settings at 1024x768 lol
And like I said. On my old LCD monitor at 1680x1050 MAX settings it runs flawlessly (50-60fps)... It has to be something with my monitor I guess

ambient occlusion in the games control panel................. in the nvidia control panel, i read something a while back that needed to be disabled or set to a specific setting for the game to work right. so open the panel and start futzinutzin because i can't remember what it was.

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I switched from a DVI cable to a VGA cable with my LED monitor using an adapter to plug it into the graphics card and the flickering has stopped. I guess that's a temporary fix but I would still like to be able to use DVI...

so, it's a bad cable. easy fix. just get another.

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Damn, I've actually gotten nowhere. Apparently when SLI is turned on only the primary display uses SLI. Using the VGA cable my LED wasnt set as my "SLI display" so I changed it and the flickering is back.

monsta

Splendid
What brand 560ti's are you running?
I have the Gigabyte cards and they would flicker, I upgraded the bios by downloading installing and running the bios flasher , once it upgraded the bios to the newer version all the flickering went away and solved my problem. If its not a Gigabyte check your vendors website and see if they have a newer bios to upgrade your cards to.
Turining off AA or AO in the game menu may also help.

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

The 560's are both EVGA. My motherboard is MSI. I could try upgrading my motherboard bios I guess...

Dawisch

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Ya, that didnt help at all. I filed a support ticket to EVGA so hopefully they will send me the bios update.

Status
Not open for further replies.