Is the I3-2120 a decent choice?

tygasp

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi, I built a computer a while ago and was wondering if the i3-2120 is a good choice for a budget gaming pc? Also why is it that a i3-2100 can beat almost all AMD processors at stock speeds in most benchmarks except the multithreaded benchs? Just wondered if I did the right thing going with the i3 over the AMD. Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

firedice

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
The answer is simple. AMD processors suck. Lulz.

In all seriousness, AMD got their asses kicked BIG TIME in this generation of CPUs... and apparently, the struggle is over, they're giving up...

InvalidError

Titan

AMD is giving up on the high-end consumer segment, which is not too much of a loss. Not many mainstream consumer are interested in $300+ CPUs when most $150 CPUs can do a fine job running most modern and foreseeable future software.

Intel is not all that different since they are prioritizing power-efficiency over raw performance as well.

InvalidError

Titan

Or h77/b75 for native 6G SATA and USB3, which are about the same price as *6x boards with those add-on ICs but slightly more power-efficient.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Intel sandy bridge chips (i3/i5/i7) outperform AMD phenom II chips due to better architecture and more instructions per clock cycle. This is why a core i3 2120 (dual core) at 3.3ghz outperforms an AMD Phenom II 965 (quad core) at 3.4ghz. The only upside of AMD Phenom II chips is that they can be overclocked whereas the core i3 lineup of CPUs cannot. If overclocked enough (4.0 ghz or higher), a Phenom II quad core will outperform a core i3.

Another upside of AMD Phenom II chips is that they are better than bulldozer (lol, sorry, couldn't resist :)). No I'm not a fanboy.