New Build/Looking for insight/review

thugxcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I am looking for a PC on the higher end of reasonable and the lower end of extreme performance. This PC will be used entirely for gaming and ideally would be able to run graphically demanding games at high/very high/ultra settings at least for the next few years without needing to upgrade.

I had several questions I was hoping the community could answer as well as a spec I would appreciate if anyone could review.

1. I am lead to believe that SLI greatly improves the performance of games by using the dual cards to in tandem to decrease each's respective workload and increase overall FPS and rendering capabilities. The build posted below contains an AMD HD 7950 3G card but was also looking at dual GTX 570 1.2GB cards with an SLI bridge. While there is no doubt that removing one of the cards and running one alone will decrease performance is it THAT noticeable?

2. I was also looking at a single GTX 570 2.5GB card. From what I have read unless I am running multiple monitors or one of excessive size at incredibly high resolutions my benefit from this particular type of card is negligible from the 1.2GB. Is this correct? What about the 7950?

3. In the event that I do not go with either of these forementioned cards I was looking at the GTX 580 3GB as well but worry I may be suffering from the same issue of needless resolutions as the GTX 570 2.5GB card.

4. Will the selected i5 2500k 3.3 GHz processor bottleneck any of these cards too much? I do not plan on overclocking at the moment though I have heard this card is easily and effectively overclocked to speeds of 4.0+. Is this also true?

5. Does the powersupply and cooling system I selected meet the needs of any/all of these builds (provided nothing other than the mentioned video cards changes)?

Spec is as follows:

CAS:Azza Orion Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel [-8] (Black with Red Lightning)

CD:LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) [+9])

HDD:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

MEMORY:16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+86] (Kingston HyperX)

MOTHERBOARD:[CrossFireX/SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu, Intel SRT, UEFI & 7.1 THX TruStudio Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [+68]

NETWORK:Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OVERCLOCK:pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]

POWERSUPPLY:850 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gaming 80 Plus Power Supply [+75]

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO:AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+296] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

WNC:pCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]