Sound Not Coming Out Of All Speakers, But They Aren't Defective

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
So it's some setting or software related issue. Likely setting, when I plug in the connectors which all plug into my sub, to my motherboard, it asks me which speakers I had just plugged in, but there is no way to actually find out considering that all three connectors that connect to the motherboard are in a line right next to each other, and all the speakers are connected to the sub.

I know my speakers were not dead because they all produce sound when in 7.1 in some applications, although the back speakers put out very little (if anyone knows how to tweak that too, please let me know).

The problem I noticed is that it thinks for example, that my center speaker is my back left, or my front right speaker is my front left, etc.

Please help, after shelling out $2350 for this system, this is my only issue.

Thanks all.

Edit: Yes, my drivers are updated.

Edit: The speakers are Logitech z506.

Solution
Assuming you connected like this for 5.1-channel audio on the motherboard: Front speaker out(green), Rear speaker out(black), and Center/Subwoofer speaker out(orange)

Then plugged into the speakers green to green, orange to orange, and black to back?

It almost sounds like you plugged the black cable into the grey plug on the motherboard(side speakers in 7.1 are grey plug which you dont have).

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Motherboard is gigabyte z77-ud5h

I know they aren't 7.1, but the only way sound comes out of all the speakers is if I'm in 7.1 mode.

Assuming you connected like this for 5.1-channel audio on the motherboard: Front speaker out(green), Rear speaker out(black), and Center/Subwoofer speaker out(orange)

Then plugged into the speakers green to green, orange to orange, and black to back?

It almost sounds like you plugged the black cable into the grey plug on the motherboard(side speakers in 7.1 are grey plug which you dont have).

Solution

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Everything was plugged in correct, but I had chosen the wrong option for the "Which speakers did you just plug in" box because I didn't know this part

Front speaker out(green), Rear speaker out(black), and Center/Subwoofer speaker out(orange)

Now that I learned that, I could replug them in and choose the right options. I had been guessing and checking.

And although I guess I look like a noob now, I guess I should've asked this before I spent 5 hours trying to figure out what was going wrong.

Thanks.

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I still have another question though that you may be able to answer, I was just wondering if there was some way to make speaker volume equal for all the speakers but the subwoofer. For example, when watching YouTube videos, the center speaker is significantly louder than the other ones, and the back speakers don't play out sound at all. I know this is probably YouTube's fault but I've heard there was a way around it.

Thanks again.

it is james

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Thanks again, you've been extremely helpful, and it's amazing how much better music and playing games are. Glad I no longer talking to someone in front of me in a game and having their voice come from the back left. Music sounds amazing in surround sound now. I am now glad I decided to buy 5.1 speakers.

But yeah, thanks again. I love this website, and would probably have never even built my computer if it wasn't for kind helpful people like you here.