Pre-paid SIM cards

Anybody know where I can purchase prepaid SIM cards that include data
(GRPS) service? Location does not matter as long as the card is good
wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage.

Thanks,

Wf
9 answers Last reply
More about paid cards

    "WarriorFour" <warriorfour@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Anybody know where I can purchase prepaid SIM cards that include data
    > (GRPS) service? Location does not matter as long as the card is good
    > wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage.

    Yeah. An Italian Wind prepaid card will do GPRS while roaming.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:04:59 -0500, WarriorFour
    <warriorfour@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >Anybody know where I can purchase prepaid SIM cards that include data
    >(GRPS) service? Location does not matter as long as the card is good
    >wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage.

    There are also:

    Zelta Zivtina from Tele2, Latvia
    Kontantkort from Vodafone, Sweden
    Just Talk from Orange, Denmark
    Xtra from T-mobile, Germany
    TIM Card from TIN, Italy

    and _MANY_ more...

    --
    ====================================== phone pages
    http://borgus.net ---- http://osbymikro.tk

    USA?

    "BG" <borje@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:04:59 -0500, WarriorFour
    > <warriorfour@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >>Anybody know where I can purchase prepaid SIM cards that include data
    >>(GRPS) service? Location does not matter as long as the card is good
    >>wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage.
    >
    > There are also:
    >
    > Zelta Zivtina from Tele2, Latvia
    > Kontantkort from Vodafone, Sweden
    > Just Talk from Orange, Denmark
    > Xtra from T-mobile, Germany
    > TIM Card from TIN, Italy
    >
    > and _MANY_ more...
    >
    > --
    > ====================================== phone pages
    > http://borgus.net ---- http://osbymikro.tk
    > ====================================== free sms
    > http://2sms.tk

    "WarriorFour" <warriorfour@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Anybody know where I can purchase prepaid SIM cards that include data
    > (GRPS) service? Location does not matter as long as the card is good
    > wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage.

    BTW, it's not exactly prepaid but Mobal's post-paid O2 SIM can be
    provisioned for GPRS.
    You can check the prepaid GSM website (www.prepaidgsm.net) for information
    on all the SIMs we've mentioned here.

    --

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:45:36 -0500, "M. Saaaddy" <00@0000hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >USA?

    The OP wrote "Location does not matter as long as the card is good
    wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage"

    So, no, my knowledge about geography tells me that Latvia, Sweden,
    Denmark, Germany and Italy are still in Europe.

    Why do you ask?

    --
    ====================================== phone pages
    http://borgus.net ---- http://osbymikro.tk
    ====================================== free sms
    http://2sms.tk

    I am asking because I 've been looking for a prepaid sim with GPRS in the US
    for a while! Though you might know! Believe it or not, I have a TIM Italia
    sim here with me but it is fairly expensive to use here in the US. I only
    use it when I am in Europe.

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, WarriorFour wrote:

    > Anybody know where I can purchase prepaid SIM cards that include data
    > (GRPS) service? Location does not matter as long as the card is good
    > wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage.

    Vodafone.
    This operator works in several countries around the world, and usually
    you have the GPRS data service where a local Vodafone cell is
    available. (Note that you couldn't have GPRS coverage if you join in
    roaming a different operator...)

    Ciao,
    Enrico

    PS, Costs may change depending on the country....

    In article <420e5e03_1@news1.prserv.net>,
    Donald Newcomb <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

    >"WarriorFour" <warriorfour@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Anybody know where I can purchase prepaid SIM cards that include data
    >> (GRPS) service? Location does not matter as long as the card is good
    >> wherever there is GSM/GPRS coverage.
    >
    >BTW, it's not exactly prepaid but Mobal's post-paid O2 SIM can be
    >provisioned for GPRS.

    The Mobal product is very interesting, and I'm not sure I understand their
    business model.

    They seem to be a reseller of O2 (BT Cellnet) services, but with a unique
    billing plan which has nothing whatsoever to do with anything that O2
    sells under its own brand in the UK.

    You pay $19 for the O2 SIM, which is charged to a major credit card,
    and then .... potentially .... nothing ever again.

    If (and only if) you use the SIM to make calls, you are charged (up to)
    multi-dollar international roaming rates like the prepaid international
    roaming SIMs many of us know. For a little additional money you can add
    GPRS service. Voice mail that can be toggled on/off is available too.

    You are no obligation to actually =use= the card in order to retain your
    account and UK phone number, but they may temporarily bar the number after
    18 months of inactivity as a safety precaution.

    For occasional, emergency use before buying a local prepaid SIM in another
    country, it looks ideal. It has all the flexibility of an international
    prepaid roaming SIM, without ever having to worry about running out of
    stored minutes or the inability to refill when you're away from the
    issuing telco's country.

    What's the catch? Further ... how exactly do they make money on low-usage
    subscribers?

    "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
    > The Mobal product is very interesting, and I'm not sure I understand their
    > business model.

    Neither do I, and I have one of their SIMs. ;-)

    > They seem to be a reseller of O2 (BT Cellnet) services, but with a unique
    > billing plan which has nothing whatsoever to do with anything that O2
    > sells under its own brand in the UK.

    Right, they are some sort of O2 service provider.

    > You pay $19 for the O2 SIM, which is charged to a major credit card,
    > and then .... potentially .... nothing ever again.

    They do say that if you don't use it every N (9?) months they may close your
    account.

    > If (and only if) you use the SIM to make calls, you are charged (up to)
    > multi-dollar international roaming rates like the prepaid international
    > roaming SIMs many of us know. For a little additional money you can add
    > GPRS service. Voice mail that can be toggled on/off is available too.

    Check. Having the GPRS activated was free for me and I have not yet actually
    received any bill for the tiny usage I've made of it. They were very hard
    pressed to explain exactly how GPRS would be charged and I'm waiting to see
    if I get some monster bill for just 2kB, or so. Also, outgoing SMS is very
    spendy BUT you can use the GPRS with smsBug. ;-)
    Incoming SMS is free and O2's M-mail seems to work perfectly.

    > You are no obligation to actually =use= the card in order to retain your
    > account and UK phone number, but they may temporarily bar the number after
    > 18 months of inactivity as a safety precaution.

    > For occasional, emergency use before buying a local prepaid SIM in another
    > country, it looks ideal. It has all the flexibility of an international
    > prepaid roaming SIM, without ever having to worry about running out of
    > stored minutes or the inability to refill when you're away from the
    > issuing telco's country.
    >
    > What's the catch? Further ... how exactly do they make money on low-usage
    > subscribers?

    It's a mystery to me. I just have it as a backup in case my other options
    don't work.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net