Hard Drive Not Detected

septufoo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Hello,
I recently clicked a Windows Update popup message stating I had new updates to install. The popup stated something like "shut down and install updates"...why I didn't just install the updates and reboot, I have no idea. Anyway, after clicking it, the machine started going through the standard windows update installations, and then it shut down while I was away.

When I returned to start it back up again, it is not recognizing my hard drive. It doesn't see it in the BIOS at all. I tried replacing the SATA cable but that didn't do anything. I guess I need to know if my hard drive is dead or not, and if there is anything else I can try. It never made any of the clicks, or whistles, or any other indication of being "bad".

Looking for any suggestions for anything else to try....trying to avoid the expense of new hardware if I can help it.

Thanks!!

semper-fi

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
easy fix bud start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore>restore to a date before you installed updates and viola hard drive is back same as before

septufoo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for the reply semper-fi, but alas I cannot even get to that point. Since it does not detect the HD, it does not see any older restore points.

I won't boot to windows, and in fact states that needs a valid boot path. Have put the Vista cd in the drive, and attempted to use system repair and/or restore from that but still didn't work.

septufoo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Well, I think it might be dead. Tried different a different port, and different power connector. Then i took it out and tried it in an external HD enclosure on my laptop, and although it recognized the "usb mass storage device" it didn't appear to actually be able to read it. However, the connector on the SATA cable in the enclosure is a little damaged, so that could be a factor there. I don't have a spare hard drive to try a the moment.

So now I have a slight dilemma...do I just get a new hard drive, or do I get a whole new system...it IS a few years old at this point so a new system would be nice actually. If I get a whole new system, are there any suggestions about somehow resurrecting the old hard drive enough to be able to pull my data off it? I got lots of everything on there I'd hate to lose including financial records, music files, video, pics, etc.