Do they have rooter buildt into modems

soley2

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
just wondering i have a modem and i have two computers and they both work the problem is i am switching over to another company can i still use that modem

If by changing companies, you're referring to a change in ISP (cable/dsl), it depends. If you're switching types (cable to dsl, or vice versa), you need a different modem since the technologies are different. If it's the same type (cable to cable, or dsl to dsl), it depends. You can often use the same modem, but other times the ISP insists you use their modem. Nowadays most ISP providers provide the modem free of charge, so it shouldn't be a concern anyway.

Routers are a different story. Most any router can be used w/ either cable or dsl, so you can switch ISPs and reuse the router.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
As I interpret your question, yes - sometimes. Some modems do have a router built into them, or more precisely, sometimes a modem and router are combined into one unit. The modem is still a separate item from the router, but contained in the same housing and inseparable.

As far as using your modem with a different provider, we need more info to go on than what you've told us. What kind of service do you have now, and what are you getting?