I have a 4-5 year old custom system and my VisionTek HD 3870 bit the dust and am looking for a good alternative/upgrade. I'll probably have this computer for another 1-2 years before building/buying a new system. Below are a ton of specs in Tom's recommended template. Thank you to everyone in advance for your advice and help on this situation!
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
- The sooner the better
- USD $50-100 (After Rebates)
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
- Gaming (highest requirement games are Crysis, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, GTA4)
- Photo Editing (Photoshop Elements)
- Music Production (Propellerhead Reason)
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
- Dead VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 (512MB, 256-bit, GDDR4, PCIx16 v2)
- Currently using: BFG Geforce 7600GT (256MB, 128-bit, GDDR3)
- Ultra V-Series 500W.
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz dual-core
- RAM: Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual-channel
- MOBO: MSI K9N SLI Platinum,
- Case/Fans: Antec Performance One P180, 3 case fans (top, central, power supply)
- OS: Windows XP Professional
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
- US Based... Newegg, TigerDirect, MicroCenter, and/or any of the major players are fine with me.
- nVidia preferred, but ATI is acceptable; it's more about pricing.
OVERCLOCKING / SLI OR CROSSFIRE:
- Neither are important
- This upgrade comes down to the bottleneck trinity CPU/Memory/Video; if this CPU/RAM setup may bottleneck a superior card, please let me know.
- I noticed a Diamond HD 4870 was available for $55 a few days back on Newegg and is now discontinued/unavailable, this is the type of deal preferred, nuts!
- Restate: 500W Power Supply, could limit to certain cards/manufacturers.
- Backwards compatibility with old motherboard (if relevant).
Thanks again for helping out in finding a solution this great rig.