Sign in with
Your question

How do you remove an AMD Heatsink?

Last response: in CPUs
May 26, 2012 12:17:38 AM

Title.
How do remove an AMD CPU Heatsink?
I can't get both clips to disengage, only one.

More about : remove amd heatsink

May 26, 2012 12:45:46 AM

Make sure you flip the lever over. After you get both sides off, twist the heatsink both ways to break the thermal compound BEFORE lifting up on it, otherwise you'll pull the CPU right out of its socket and you might bend some pins.
a c 252 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 26, 2012 3:18:13 AM

Some of those AMD HSF coolers are really troublesome. As long as you get one side free, it's just a matter of perserverance to get the other side loose. Keep at it. Gently lift the other side over the nub with a small screwdriver if necessary. Keep downward pressure on the cooler as you do it.
Related resources
May 26, 2012 3:54:22 AM

yeah,do it gently,..I did mine roughly and the proc came off with sink,lol.good thing nothing was bent....
May 28, 2012 4:15:39 PM

Well, there's like a plastic black material blocking the clips way. The clip that is closest to the lever is extremely easy to lift up and out.
The other...however...is almost impossible to remove for me.
a c 252 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 28, 2012 5:43:00 PM

digitalhardware said:
Well, there's like a plastic black material blocking the clips way. The clip that is closest to the lever is extremely easy to lift up and out.
The other...however...is almost impossible to remove for me.

I don't suppose you could provide a pic... ? I'm not understanding what is your obstruction. The nub you need to slip the metal latch off of, should have no obstruction... just a slight bump underneath to keep the latch's notch-out from slipping off.

Have you tried tipping the HSF towards that side as you slip the loosened latch off?
!