Sign in with
Your question

Same FPS, FPS spikes, even with new graphics card?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2011 2:16:45 AM

Okay well I recently built a new system since I couldn't play the games I wanted to with my old one.

The specs are:

AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE @3.5ghz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
520c 520w Antec Neo Eco PSU (theres 40A on the 12v)
ASRock 970 extreme3 motherboard
Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM

and when I play APB Reloaded, my game gets all choppy. I checked the fps for it, and whenever I lagg, my FPS spikes down and therefore it laggs. I mean wth? Why does that happen? It stutters and it's really annoying and shouldn't be happening with a system like that.

Some people say CPU causes FPS spikes, but my CPU usage never goes over like 30-40%.
As for RAM, my RAM usage is like 50% and thats normal for that game.

I thought it was the graphics card, so I went out and bought an even BETTER graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 560 ti ) and that still didn't fix the problem. Heck, now I even get lines going up and down the screen with the 560ti. Yes I installed the latest drivers for BOTH the cards.

I THINK it MIGHT be the power supply, but people said that that power supply is more than enough and people said they even ran their 560ti on a 450w PSU.

I have mouse lagg on APB Reloaded and Dragon Nest. Also, this game GunZ, even with the new 560 ti, the FPS still didn't change and is spiking as well. The 560ti is supposed to be a better card than the 6850, so why didn't the fps change?

The FPS didn't change either with the other games.

Please help guys...this is really annoying me and making me sad..I wasted a lot of money on this.

What do I doooooooooooooo :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( 

More about : fps fps spikes graphics card

a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 5:50:01 AM

Is your operating system cluttered or do you have temperature problems with your processor or GPUs? Those usually cause the most problems, and the PSU is a probable cause, but I wouldn't place my bets on it.
m
l
December 13, 2011 5:03:19 PM

No my operating system is not cluttered. I also changed my hard drive (which was an old seagate 160gb) to a 2tb western digital caviar black, didn't help. My FPS still spikes from like 70 to like 17 and my screen freezes.

I also put the game in windowed mode, checked my cpu usage, and its the same as other people's who play that game with me.

Also, I downloaded HW monitor, GPUID, and others and my temperatures are normal while gaming (around 45c for processor while gaming, and around 60 for graphics card)

So if its not the video card, the processor, or the hard drive, the only other problems I can think of are the RAM (which i doubt) and the motherboard.

Any suggestions/ideas before I buy myself a new motherboard?
m
l
Related resources
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 14, 2011 1:12:39 AM

It's not your mother board because if it was everything would not work right. Have you updated your drivers? The 285.62 have a bug the beta 290.32 for Nvidia card is good.

Is your power settings set on preformence? Also make sure all other drivers are updated as well.

Have you been able to bench test your GPU? run a stress test on your CPU and Do a Memory Test as well? Have been able to barrow another PSU?

I am sure you have reseated everything. What about you sound drivers are they up to date?. Make sure you CPU is seated proper.

Does the res on your monitor match the GPU? Not to long ago some else had a problem like this and I can't for the life of me remember what is was he did to fix the problem. I will try to go back and see if I can find the fix.
m
l
December 14, 2011 4:34:57 PM

I googled it and some guy with the same problem said he changed his motherboard and it fixed it. Yes I updated my drivers and I tried TWO graphics cards so it can't be a faulty one. Yes I changed my power settings to high performance, no change.

Did not do a stress test on my CPU because my CPU usage is the same as other people's who play the game, and the temperatures are fine.

I haven't been able to borrow another PSU but a PSU problem usually causes instability and blue screens, etc, not fps spikes. If my CPU wasn't seated properly how would it be working? Yes my sound drivers are up to date.

Yes the res on my monitor matches the GPU. Thanks for trying to help so much :)  I really appreciate it.

I ordered a new (supposedly better) motherboard and RAM from newegg. If that doesnt fix it, the only thing left to change is the processor in which case I will RMA.

If you can, please continue to try to find what the other guy did for now.

Thanks a bunch :) 

I'll respond here with my results if there are no posts by the time the new items arrive.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 15, 2011 1:48:23 AM

I wish you the best of luck on this I know how frustrating and stressful this can be. Hope eveything comes before XMas
m
l
July 3, 2013 9:38:58 PM

Hi , i having the same problem .

have your issue fixed ? if yes , please share with me how u fix it ?
m
l
!