Sign in with
Your question

Antec 900 Cable Management

Last response: in Components
May 26, 2012 2:15:23 AM

I need help on where to drill some holes in my Antec 900 so my cable management can be better. I have seen some really nice pictures of how others have done it, but I am first of all a first time builder that knows nothing, including cable management, as well as not being as smart as most of you. I just can't seem to think of a pattern.

I am getting my new parts tomorrow so I would want to know my plan by tomorrow so I can get drilling.

If someone could guide me on where to drill that would be great.

Also, what tools would I need? Would I need a circular and rectangular holes?

Here is the inside of the case.

Thank you guys! Hope you can help me!
a c 110 ) Power supply
May 26, 2012 2:25:52 AM

Route them on the right panel, behind mobo tray.
a b ) Power supply
May 26, 2012 3:54:06 AM

Firelance said:
I need help on where to drill some holes in my Antec 900 so my cable management can be better. I have seen some really nice pictures of how others have done it, but I am first of all a first time builder that knows nothing, including cable management, as well as not being as smart as most of you. I just can't seem to think of a pattern.

I am getting my new parts tomorrow so I would want to know my plan by tomorrow so I can get drilling.

If someone could guide me on where to drill that would be great.

Also, what tools would I need? Would I need a circular and rectangular holes?

Here is the inside of the case.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/FirelanceZX/Antec900Inside.png

Thank you guys! Hope you can help me!

amuffin is right,the space behind the motherboard tray is for cables,i learned from trial and error,i started with the thick motherboard cables first putting them through the bottom holes in the side of the case and coming out the top holes to connect to the motherboard,i basically take care of one cable at a time using some cable ties the hold them in place,take your time and try to make them look tidy

this guy i found on you tube,he drilled some holes for cables,maybe his video can help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnePBkCor1E
Related resources
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 26, 2012 4:58:26 AM

Flagging for when I get to the main Pc
Moto
May 26, 2012 5:45:34 AM

Ok thanks for the suggestions guys. I will first wait until I get my stuff, then see if it is necessary.

Offtopic: I accidentally deleted the flag you put on motopsychojd. My mouse fails.
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 26, 2012 6:42:04 AM

No, because i've posted in here, it puts it into my list of 'my threads' so I don't lose your post hehe, I often do that if I'm on the netbook or mobile, as I don't have my photobucket/Toms threads bookmarks links etc on those,
You look to be a little short on space behind the mobo tray there but we can work around that,
Heres a guide pic I did a while back highlighting the 'good' places to drill/cut holes for C.m

I'll be back in a minute to explain each cutpoint, cats need fed hehe
Moto
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 26, 2012 6:50:48 AM

The yellow squares/diamonds are where you will want the cables to return from the rear and come through to the front for plugging into the mobo basically, although the lower ones are used in reverse to feed them to the rear
the red outline is the mobo outline (I hope that was obvious though :p )
for cases that have space behind them, i like to cut a sideways 'T' shape inside the Mobo boundary for the 20+4 pin block, the biggest and usually most awkward cable to hide,
front panel cables can be fed through where they are needed from the rear, so your audio cable for example, drill a small hole directly underneath the point on the mobo where it plugs in, and feed the cable through from the rear and tape it in place temporarily,
that way when all cuts are done and the Mobo is installed, all you have to do is un-tape the plugs and and fold them over to plug them in,
I have a C.M. Guide thread (Work in progress) with some links, my Gf's build was a hard case to manage so that may be your best point of reference but check them all for some ideas and hopefully we can get you the best C.m. you can manage in there (without just sending it to me hehe)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/343995-13-cable-man...

Theres also a tool list one
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

post back any questions you may have man :) 
*Edit, if you accidentally hit the 'delete flags' button, it just deletes your list, not anyone elses :p 
Moto
May 26, 2012 7:37:54 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply man.

I am really sleepy now and don't know if you mention but the blue is where I feed the cables through? And as far as drilling goes, what size hole saws do you recommend?
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 26, 2012 7:52:53 AM

Firelance said:
Thanks for the detailed reply man.

I am really sleepy now and don't know if you mention but the blue is where I feed the cables through? And as far as drilling goes, what size hole saws do you recommend?

The blue round the edges is potential spots for cable re-entry yes, the large blue square is a Cpu backplate cutout as most larger heatsinks use them its handy to have access
Jsc's link will help you as well, see how the case actually works
and drilling cable holes, I just use a 4mm metal drillbit, the frontpanel stuff is usually single plug and will fit through those, for the larger ones like the 'T' hole, I outline the perimeter of the cut with drillholes then use a file to join them together,
Moto
May 26, 2012 11:47:11 AM

Yeah I really like the idea you have jsc. Thing is I don't have a dremel since I am out of $$$. I you could possibly give me some measurements of the holes you cut that would be great. As for the molding, how much more would I need to cut so the back plate and the two other holes would be the right size?
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 26, 2012 12:11:58 PM

The molding is a flexible length you cut to fit your hole, so theres no need for a specific size hole, other than the pre-requisite of it allowing your connector through
and if you don't have a dremel, use a drillbit like I suggested and file the holes to connect them, theres always ways hehe
Moto
!