Solved

System Upgrades

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2012 5:03:25 PM

I am looking to improve my computer. I have a budget of $1000. I use it for gaming.
Current Build

CPU:AMD Phenom II x4 3.4ghz 125w
motherboard: msi 870A-g54
GPU:Radeon HD 6950
HDD: seagate 1tb 7200 rpm
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (I have lots of space for upgrades)
Wireless card: Asus PCE-N15
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray burner
Keyboard: Logitech G510
Mouse: Logitech G500
5.1 surround sound
Power Supply: CoolMax 750w
RAM: 8gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333

I'm keeping my CPU and GPU. I'm thinking about getting a SSD, but I would like some advice on what brand. I have 3tb of external storage hooked up to my computer, so I really only need enough space for the OS and the programs.

More about : system upgrades

Best solution

a c 100 B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2012 5:35:49 PM

How do you like the Cosmos II? I badly want to get one but I have a hard time justifying purchasing a $349 case. :lol: 

One area you should really look at upgrading is your PSU - Coolmax PSUs are flat-out junk. If you want to upgrade your GPU or add a second one at some point your PSU will have a hard time keeping up. You should look at something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to get an SSD - I highly recommend the Crucial M4 or the Samsung 830 - both are top of the line models right now.
February 9, 2012 9:06:53 PM

The Cosmos II is great, plenty of room for just about anything you want to use. The only downside to it is that it is so damn heavy. I would suggest having it shipped by FedEx rather than UPS. They lost my case for 24 hours and then when they found it they sent it to the wrong state. They also beat the box to all hell, but the case itself was fine. The buttons on the case look like a cheap cell phone, but they feel fairly well made.

The PSU I'm using seems to be holding up well, it's been running great for over a year. I think I'll go with the Samsung 830.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 12:42:01 AM

$1000? You can build a new machine from the ground up for that. But to answer your question, I would upgrade the CPU/motherboard first. The old PhII's are great processors, but they pale compared to the Sandy Bridge i5's and i7's. Get at least an i5-2500K and a good quality Z68 board. You may even want to look into the Z77 boards. You will have to buy a new Win7 OS unless the one you have is a retail version. The rest of your components look fine. If you end up having to install a new OS, you may want to get a SSD, too.
m
l
a c 100 B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 3:29:48 AM

PSYKOTIK said:
The Cosmos II is great, plenty of room for just about anything you want to use. The only downside to it is that it is so damn heavy. I would suggest having it shipped by FedEx rather than UPS. They lost my case for 24 hours and then when they found it they sent it to the wrong state. They also beat the box to all hell, but the case itself was fine. The buttons on the case look like a cheap cell phone, but they feel fairly well made.

The PSU I'm using seems to be holding up well, it's been running great for over a year. I think I'll go with the Samsung 830.

I live in CA and I can actually drive to Newegg's main warehouse in Industry - if I ever wind up getting that case, I think I'll do that.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:57:04 AM

Best answer selected by PSYKOTIK.
m
l