Graphics card upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamui4697

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
hi, just looking for some helpful advice on purchasing a video card preferably nvidia.here are my specs:
core 2 quad q6600 b3
gigabyte ep43-ds3l motherboard
4 gb (4x 1gb ddr2 667 ram)
coolermaster storm scout case w/ 5 120mm fans
rosewill media card reader
pc power and cooling silencer 650 watt psu
ecs 8800gts 320mb video card(current)

what would be the best upgrade for these specs.i mostly do internet surfing,light photo editing,dvd ripping, and occasional gaming.i have a 24 inch samsung monitor with 1920 x 1080 res.i have batman arkhyam asylum and spiderman web of shadows.i am contemplating purchasing skyrim.i want a card that can handle these games at very playable framerates.im not looking for the best just above average.my budget max is 250-275.thanks in advance

DM186

Splendid
Don't get anything with 2GB only stay with the one GB. It will not make any difference that would be seen by you. It just makes it cost more. It depends on what your budget is and what the brand of your PSU is. It might say 650w and you put a load on it, then it is fry time. But the 560 ti's are good and HD 6950 are also good. Me I like Nvidia better.

kamui4697

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
i have a pretty reputable psu that im sure could handle it.i understand what your saying.i do plan on upgrading to ivy bridge with a motherboard/cpu/memory combo in the spring.will the 560ti still be the better choice?i am partial to nvidia.what is the difference between the 1gb and 2 gb cards?

kamui4697

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
frizzo the psu you are talking about is the exact one that i have.i could raise my7 budget up to 300-325 if necessary if that would make a major difference in video card choices.

DM186

Splendid

It has to do with vram adding one more gb on ram will not make any difference on redering. But don't quote me for sure, its just I have read a lot of threads about this and everybody say the same thing that is does nothing extra in terms of something that you will notice. In fact I don't know why they even put it on the cards. It does nothing except jack up the price. You think it is good but its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.