Sign in with
Your question

1St test boot Good, incase test boot Bad

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2012 5:25:52 PM

This is my first build and I followed instructions from newegg.com how to build a computer on youtube. Following their example I did and external build first and the test boot worked. (I got the Gigabyte splash screen.) Then I reassembled everything in the case. Then for my second test boot (first in the case) the screen stayed black. But all the fans were running and the led lights on the MB and video card were on. In an attempt to troubleshoot I swaped video cards but no change. Then I disassembled the parts from the case and redid the external build. This did not help, still no splash screen but the fan and led lights on the MB and video card continued to work.

It seems that sometime between my first test boot during the external build and second test boot when installed in the case something went wrong.

My question is what part do you think failed? I don't think it is the video card since my video card swap did not help. That leaves either the MB or CPU.

What do you think?

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Patriot Wildfire PW120GS25SSDR 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

IGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

1 x ($4.99) MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu Thermal Interface Material

Thank you for you input-

February 9, 2012 6:09:36 PM

So tell me if I have this right.

Everything worked perfectly outside the case.

You took everything apart, but probably left the CPU and RAM in the slots.

You moved pieces one at a time into the new PC, motherboard, psu, hard drive, CD drive.

You plugged in the 24 and 8 pin connectors from the PSU to the motherboard. Then the power cables from the PSU to the CD and Hard drives. Then the SATA cables from the CD and Hard drives into the motherboard. Then plugged in the video card.

Then you plugged everything in the back, the video cable, USB keyboard and mouse cables, sound cable, and power cable.

Then turned it on, and when you did this it turned on and it stayed on but there was no graphics display. Everything appeared to be functioning exactly the same as outside of the case except that there was no video going to the monitor?
m
l
February 9, 2012 6:18:56 PM

You have it right, but I never pluged in a speaker system, other than normal ear buds trying to listen for any beeps. And I did swap video cards when it was in the case to troubleshoot but I got the same result. I can turn easily turn the system on either in the case or outside the case but no visuals since my first test start up only fans and leds on the the mb and video card. Since the fans still work and it did work at first I fear that something got damaged during the move from the external to internal build.
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2012 6:30:23 PM

It is possible that happened.

Did you drop any part during this on accident? Were you sitting on carpet? Did you touch the case a lot to discharge static? Did you wear a wrist strap?

If the answer to any of those things is the "wrong" one, it is possible there could have been some damage. By "wrong", I mean that it is suggested you don't work on computers when they are on carpet, but even if you do its 99% likely not to damage the components anyway.

Anyway, I would like it if you could put everything back in the case EXCEPT the video card, and plug the monitor into the motherboard's graphics port. Then turn it on and see what happens.
m
l
February 9, 2012 6:36:50 PM

I didn't drop anything or any bang anything hard. I was on carpet but I did try to discharge myself often. The MB dosen't have a graphics port, only the video card has one. I'm thinking about returning both the CPU and Motherboard but I don't know if that is allowed. (Newegg)
m
l
February 9, 2012 6:49:37 PM

The rear panel has a HDMI port. Does your monitor not take this cable or do you not have one?

AFAIK, there are adapters that convert HDMI into DVI if that is something that would help.

I would try to avoid returning your parts until you do more tests to try to narrow down the problem.

Most RMAd parts are sent back, because they weren't broken. The makers have to add their RMA costs to the purchase price so when people RMA things it just gets more expensive for everybody.

Obviously it is fair to RMA something that really is provably broken, but a lot of people just guess at what they need to RMA and end up RMAing many different good things and that isn't good for anybody.

Do you have access to another computer with similar specs? If you don't have one do you maybe have a family member or friend that does?
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:18:23 PM

Great call. Used an small tv that is also a monitor. And I got a splash screen. That's great what does it mean?
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:31:09 PM

After a few more experiments the mb hdmi works to both my computer monitor and tv monitor when the video card is on the mb or not. But the video card still won't display any output...
m
l
February 10, 2012 12:28:18 AM

Well, there are two sides to every equation.

The two sides to this one are the motherboard and the video card.

If you tried two cards, that would get me to lean toward the motherboard, but I still kinda want to believe that there is something wrong with both cards and the motherboard is fine right now.

Can't explain why.

Maybe the cards aren't being pushed far enough into the slot or something.
m
l
February 10, 2012 11:14:04 AM

I was able to get going using the MB hdmi video out. Then in the BIOS select the video card as the visual output source. For some reason during the build the mb stoped using the video card and only used the onboard hdmi for visual output. I have no idea why, and for my first build I felt that I was thrown a curveball. Thanks for your help the mb hdmi video out idea was the key to the fix.
m
l
February 10, 2012 2:39:17 PM

Np, glad I could get you going again pretty quickly.

I don't know why it would have locked in using the motherboard port if it was only ever started with the video card plugged in and the monitor always plugged into that.

Usually, the motherboard will never default the video output to the onboard port if a video card is plugged in. As soon as a video card is inserted it is supposed to auto detect it and switch automatically.

I guess for whatever reason that didn't happen here.
m
l
!