FX 8150 VS I7 3770K

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnijhar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
im building a computer for my hotel.
i will be using NComputing as a host. so this host will make 1-4 more workstations with there owen keyboard and mouse.
i will also be using quickbooks, and microsoft word etc.
i will be using the hotel reservation software- which apparently is very heavy because the seller of the hotel says the ill have to buy or build a custom pc for it to work properly.
i will be using 8-16gb ram.

i will also be using like adobe software.

what will be the best: for my hotel: i get the FX- 8150 for $220, and the i7 3770k- for $350

You don't need an i7 for this work. You can get the FX 8150 for $200, but the 8120 is pretty much the same for $170. But regardless, you'd be better off getting a core i5 2500k for $220. That will be planty of power for your needs. Even the i5 2400 would be fine.

G

no offense man but an i5 wont cut it, this cat is going to running up to 4 virtual machines along with quickbooks and what ever reservation software gack.
its all about threading . .if there was a budget a dual xeon platform would be better.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

misconception #1, the 8150 does not have anymore cores then a i7. hyperthreading and modules are the same concept marketed a different way and approached a different way but it does not have a full 8 cores just like an i7.

going to disagree here. this is a computer that will need to be fast and reliable and intel wins in speed. a little speed advantage over thousands of processes throughout the day is huge. In this application it is much better to have something you dont need just in case you need it sometime. Like at work, we have dual xeon computers with 24gb of ram and workstation gpus just to run Pro/e. pro/e will run on an i3 laptop with an entry level dedicated card but they go overboard for worst case scenarios.

My point is to the OP is that if you think a i7 is just going to be enough get something better for the worst case scenario so that youre not killing yourself for saving a couple hundred dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS