Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Looking for a new gaming build $500

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 9, 2012 5:47:22 PM

Looking for a new build, my budget might be lower then I previously thought, but just in case I can't go with the other build that was posted in cyberpower forum section. This will an alternative, and also this will be my first time building a PC.

Games I'm looking to play are Skyrim, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 all on max settings, 720p or 1080p

Please include a hd 6850 graphics card in the pricing. I want it to be around $600 including the oem windows 7 64bit os.

I don't really need more then 8 gigs of ram unless if it's a must, and I don't think I need sli or crossfire.

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : gaming build 500

February 9, 2012 6:00:20 PM

Hi! Welcome to the forums.
$500 build, hm? Have you taken a look at Tom's System Builder Marathon machine? It provides a good template. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock... Look at that, do some research and come up with some tentative parts. Then I'll come through and give you some pointers. You seem to know what you want, so why don't you go out to newegg.com and look around?
Score
0
February 9, 2012 6:10:48 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

That combo should get me the stuff I want, but I was wondering if I can still get around that price range, but with an i3 2120 processor and motherboard.

But I guess I can try to put something together, and be back with the end results :D  brb
Score
0
Related resources
February 9, 2012 6:36:04 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- COOLER MASTER Elite 311 RC-311B-BWN1 Blue Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower: $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply: $30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64: $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner: $16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM: $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- GIGABYTE GA-A75M-S2V FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0: $75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- AMD Athlon II X4 631 Propus 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core: $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333: $37

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB: $135

TOTAL: $603
Score
0
February 9, 2012 6:39:24 PM

So here's the end results xD


i3 2120 $ 130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock H55M-LE LGA 1156 Intel H55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL $26
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner $16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A total of $448 including shipping.

Is there anything incompatible? I think I could take out the 1333 ram for some 1600, but will there be a much more significant increase in performance if I go with 1600 ram? I think the motherboard supports 1600 ram :??:  not even sure. Will there be any bottleneck? If I miss anything, let me know.


:lol:  , I forgot to add the video card
HD radeon $140

Totals up to $583 :sweat: 


@wasupmike
let me give that a good look


Wow, that's a nice build. Exactly fit the price I was aiming for. I guess it's not possible to build a $500 gaming machine including an intel i3 2120 cpu then :??: 
Score
0
Anonymous
February 9, 2012 6:55:46 PM

gundam007 said:
So here's the end results xD


i3 2120 $ 130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock H55M-LE LGA 1156 Intel H55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL $26
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner $16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A total of $448 including shipping.

Is there anything incompatible? I think I could take out the 1333 ram for some 1600, but will there be a much more significant increase in performance if I go with 1600 ram? I think the motherboard supports 1600 ram :??:  not even sure. Will there be any bottleneck? If I miss anything, let me know.


:lol:  , I forgot to add the video card
HD radeon $140

Totals up to $583 :sweat: 


@wasupmike
let me give that a good look

you have a 1156 motherboard need a 1155. I would go with this psu instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... same price Antec> Rosewill.
Score
0
February 9, 2012 7:00:08 PM

Quote:
May wan to to with AMD over Intel. It's better for a budget build since they can be less expensive and still be a good gaming CPU.


Wrong. The Core i3 runs circles around AMDs in similar and even higher price point alternatives. For pure gaming, it's a no brainer to stick with Intel here. To quote Tom's recent experiment with this:

With the sub-$100 Pentiums performing so well, Intel's $125 Core i3-2100 easily beats more expensive Phenom II and FX models. And the $190 Core i5-2400 dominates the sub-$200 landscape without challenge, really. As such, we're almost-shockingly left without an AMD CPU to recommend at any price point.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
Score
0

Best solution

Anonymous
February 9, 2012 7:02:22 PM

This is build I would go for with your budget,

get the i3-2120 that you selected

motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... add 4 gb later if you need to.

same case that you got

psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You could also get this case save $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and get a 6870 instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
February 9, 2012 7:22:34 PM

@ivan1984

wow it's nicely within the budget. But when I was looking at the motherboard specs, and it says standard memory DDR3 1333 / 1066 / 800

So does that mean I can't use the 1600 ram you recommended to me on that motherboard, or will it work anyways :??: 

Oh, and your build comes up to $464 with shipping without os :love: 


@shadowkazam
Thanks for adding that nice combo, but after adding the video card and a 600w psu, the price was around $450 without shipping or os, so far since it's not letting me check how much shipping it is, unless it's free shipping already.
Score
0
Anonymous
February 9, 2012 7:26:39 PM
Anonymous
February 9, 2012 7:27:03 PM

gundam007 said:
@ivan1984

wow it's nicely within the budget. But when I was looking at the motherboard specs, and it says standard memory DDR3 1333 / 1066 / 800

So does that mean I can't use the 1600 ram you recommended to me on that motherboard, or will it work anyways :??: 


I added another build around a 6870, with a gaming system gpu is much more important than cpu. yeah you were right about ram it would work but at lower frequency added the right ram for you in the last build ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .
Score
0
February 9, 2012 7:38:25 PM




I really like this build, and I don't think the cpu comes with a free dvd burner, since there's no option for that :( 

Oh now I see the combo deal, but there's no option for it, or does that mean you automatically get a random dvd drive by purchasing that cpu?
Score
0
Anonymous
February 9, 2012 7:46:10 PM

gundam007 said:
I really like this build, and I don't think the cpu comes with a free dvd burner, since there's no option for that :( 

Oh now I see the combo deal, but there's no option for it, or does that mean you automatically get a random dvd drive by purchasing that cpu?



I forgot the motherboard as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . But I don't think you can beat the performance for this price.
Score
0
February 9, 2012 7:49:00 PM

Pentium G850 $88

ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231425

Sapphire 6850 $135

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB $85

COOLER MASTER Elite 311 $40


SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner $16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827151244

Gskill 4gb $25

PSU: Antec ECO 520w $60

Total: $504
Score
0
February 9, 2012 7:51:13 PM

Thanks so much again ivan1984, pretty much everything I wanted in my budget :) 

@somekidxd
Thanks that's also a nice solid budget build.
Score
0
February 9, 2012 7:55:31 PM

Best answer selected by gundam007.
Score
0
February 9, 2012 8:43:22 PM

Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $35 with EMCNHNC45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master Elite 460W PSU + WD Caviar Blue 500GB - $105 with combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Sapphire HD6850 + Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM - $170 with combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Windows 7 OEM + Biostar H61 Micro ATX Mobo - $150 with combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

i3-2120 + Samsung SATA DVD burner - $136 with combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

10% off Windows OEM - EMCNHNA24

Freebies - Dirt 3, 8GB Micro SDHC card

Total after shipping and codes in cart - $595.87

Total after MIR - $560.87
Score
0
February 9, 2012 9:08:26 PM

@lycros
wow that's a very nice build. The motherboard that comes with the combo supports 1333 ram, and the ram that comes with video card is 1600. I don't know what the effects of using un-supported hardware together :??:  but This is a very nice budget build as well, thanks.
Score
0
February 9, 2012 9:17:56 PM

ya they have combos with 1333 ram, but for like $3 more you can get 1600. You might be able to run it at the higher settings, and if you cant, it doesn't hurt to have the 1600 downclocked to 1333.
Score
0
February 9, 2012 9:18:01 PM

It's totally fine. 1333MHz is actually the "maximum" supported frequency. The rest is overclocked.
Score
0
Anonymous
February 9, 2012 9:21:36 PM

Be careful with cheap psu's http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...

If your looking for best gaming performance g850 + 6870 is better than i3 2120 + 6850

the gigabyte also has all sold capacitors while the biostar motherboard only has half
good luck
Score
0
February 9, 2012 9:34:32 PM

@Lycros and striker410

Thanks, that's very informative :) 


@ivan1984

I'll be going with your build, I haven't plan to grab everything just yet but maybe in another month. Also have your build saved on wishlist on newegg already, so will be planning to grab them in about a month. The combo might not be there after this month, but im fine with adding another $20 for the dvd drive. Also you're right about not to cheap out on a psu. Since newegg or was it ncix tech tips on youtube recommended not to do so as well :) 


Thanks everyone for your responses, and my budget build has been solved :hello: 
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:44:01 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!