Sign in with
Your question

PC Gaming problem

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2012 6:19:38 PM

Hi Guys posting here on behalf of a friend who has a problem with his pc. I will post a link to a video showing the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTwPZmHkNE
The problem occurs at around 10 seconds it starts lagging quite badly as he jumps into combat.

He has built a new pc with the below specs
AMD Phenom II X4 960T
AMD 6950 graphics card
8GB of ram

Anything else you need to know just ask.

He has a good internet connection and the games he plays such as WOW and SWTOR fine on his older laptop but has these problems with his new pc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

More about : gaming problem

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2012 7:09:56 PM

Lets start with a maker and model of everything, even the parts already listed with no associated maker/model attached.

If it is in the PC, please include it. If it is not in the PC, like keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc then don't worry about it for now. The case itself counts as in the case, so do list the maker/model of that.

Also, try downloading PC Mark and running it. The newer versions are probably not free, but there is probably an older version available that is. DL that and try it and see what happens.

Also, DL HWMonitor from CPUID and tell me what his temperatures are listed as.

Feel free to have him also run the WEI and see what happens.

Atm, I am kinda wondering if he is bottlenecking his CPU with this video card. You may want to try OCing the processor and see if that changes anything.
February 9, 2012 7:37:04 PM

You might get him to post to your thread as it will be easier to talk directly to the user with the issue.
Related resources
February 9, 2012 8:54:52 PM

Hi all this is the friend Volcan was kind enough to help.

My setup is:

Processor
1 x AMD 960T Black Edition 3.0GHz Socket AM3 8MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Motherboard
1 x Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

Graphics Card
1 x PowerColor HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Hard Drive
1 x Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Read = 550MB/s, Write = 510MB/s

Power Supply
1 x Corsair 600W CX Series V2 PSU - 6x SATA 2x PCI-E

RAM
1 x Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.65V

OS
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Monitor
1 x ViewSonic VX2239WM LCD TFT 22" HDMI Monitor

The current Graphics card was a replacement for a, PowerColor HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card.
I sent it back to the component providers cause of the issue in the video.
When they tested it the found it to be faulty and so I upgraded but unfortunately still same problem with new card so I am doubtful it is that.

I have reinstalled my OS about 4 times during this process and the games along with them.

I have Updated all drivers I have on all my components, Graphics Card, Gaming Mouse, Monitor, Mothorboard many times.

I have run 3DMark11 and it tells me that that it is comparable to similar systems.

If that is the case what component is letting me down and what should I have looked for before when I purchased these parts in the first place.

Any advice, tests, know how is very welcome.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 9, 2012 9:06:55 PM

i don't know the game but did you try and make it run on one core instead of 4 ?
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 12:39:51 AM

What case are you using? It is highly important.

I also need the temps like I asked for.

Also, you could try downloading older drivers and installing them.
February 17, 2012 7:29:08 PM

Here is the tower. I tried linking a image but the link is the exact model so i thought better to see for yourself

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

As far as temps go I am running Speed fan to keep an eye on my temps

This is with me been gaming for about 1 hour on wow

It sais that my
temp 1 is 45C
temp 2 is 36C
temp 3 is -128C
HD0 is 30C
HD1 is 35C
CPU is at 46C
MB is 36C
GPU is at 47
Core is at 32

I'm not sure how accurate these temps are although I have felt the heat sink on both the the mother board and the CPU. The CPU heat sink is cool to the to the touch after a hour of playing. The Mother board heat sink is fairly warm to the touch but not to the point where you could burn yourself if you held on to long.

Hope that helps sorry for the delay in responding... :D 
February 17, 2012 7:30:05 PM

And yes I have run it on solo cores and no difference was noticed. :( 
February 17, 2012 8:00:47 PM

How do you connect to the game servers? What is the speed of your internet service and what type is it (cable, dsl,?)? Are you sharing the connection with anyone or other computers? Have you tried to play stand alone games that do not require an internet connection? I looked at the linked video and do not see what you are talking about. But does it happen in less intensive game areas?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 8:08:28 PM

volcan said:
Here is the tower. I tried linking a image but the link is the exact model so i thought better to see for yourself

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

As far as temps go I am running Speed fan to keep an eye on my temps

This is with me been gaming for about 1 hour on wow

It sais that my
temp 1 is 45C
temp 2 is 36C
temp 3 is -128C
HD0 is 30C
HD1 is 35C
CPU is at 46C
MB is 36C
GPU is at 47
Core is at 32

I'm not sure how accurate these temps are although I have felt the heat sink on both the the mother board and the CPU. The CPU heat sink is cool to the to the touch after a hour of playing. The Mother board heat sink is fairly warm to the touch but not to the point where you could burn yourself if you held on to long.

Hope that helps sorry for the delay in responding... :D 

Temp 3 is 128c? Best way to let us know the temps is to pick the lowest say 30c then the highest which in this case is 128c. It is 262 fahrenheit. Dude you could cook a pizza on your gpu at that temp. Thats basically baking your gpu. :o 
February 17, 2012 8:24:03 PM

It says minus 128c. I just figured it is an error. That is cool even if he lives in an igloo.
February 17, 2012 8:29:19 PM

Did you uninstall the old drivers before installing the new, it could cause a driver error and something not registering write, or you could have a fried GPU.
February 17, 2012 8:31:55 PM

Oh snap i just seen that you was playing SWTOR, i know what your problem is now.
Turn off the shadows, it will solve everything. The shadows in that game make it lag like a mother. i have crossfire 6950's and tried using shadows, id get major framerate loss. turned it off, now its at like 150 FPS.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 8:34:35 PM

Dogsnake said:
It says minus 128c. I just figured it is an error. That is cool even if he lives in an igloo.

-128 c is -198 f there is no natural temperatures that cold i know of (although i could be wrong) Which is why i was sure he meant 128 c but still that is not good.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 8:41:45 PM

And it looks like no air flow at all in that case.
February 19, 2012 9:14:10 AM

First of thanks for responding, I appreciate the help.

I have connected to my router using ether net cable directly, network card and USB net work adapter I don't share the network with anyone else and I play pretty late into the morning avoiding peak times. I don't know how fast my connection but i can play mostly every high rez vid of you tube without loading screen if that is a worthy indication.

When I'm in game I get the same fault almost regardless of how busy the area is there can be none around for miles in a dead zone and still get the same problem.

As far as the temps go it was showing a minus number so it is a error on that one. I'm not sure how accurate the temps are however this problem occurs from the second I can start gaming. Which is under a minute from when I press the power button, with the computer sitting in a cold room overnight.
I understand that they can warm up pretty fast but the problem doesn't get worse as the computer has been on longer it is fairly consistent after hours after playing. Which if it was a heating issue would surely exacerbate the problem assuming the lack of airflow was causing the problem.

I have turned of shadows and still the same problem on SWTOR and I also get this problem in WOW as well and am noticing it more in battlefield to when I'm playing offline.

This Graphics card was a replacement for a
PowerColor HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card

With this card in my system I had the same problem, which was the reason for me replacing it. That cards driver would not let me install the new driver software through the AMD Catalyst program, where as this one will and shows me the newest version.

Also i have run a program that checks for system lag that is created buy driver problems and after removing a old network card that did create lag it shows none now with all the drivers updated. I also reinstalled the OS after the old network card was removed to ensure no residual effects were left on the system form the old card just to be safe.

So considering that its the same problem with 2 different cards kinda make me doubt that's where the fault lies, I suppose its possible but for now the evidence is stacked against it.

I have used 3DMark11 to benchmark the CPU and Graphics card and compared it with the friend who is letting me use this forum. His CPU is slightly better and my graphics card is slightly better than his our results show this marginal difference but they are comparable results.

Its just this dam in game glitch. I just don't know what more I can do. :( 
February 19, 2012 4:37:17 PM

Try this: Set all the game video settings to the lowest. Run the game and see if it makes a difference. I assume you are using some type of flat screen computer monitor and not a TV so set it at its native resolution. If the game still lags then for sure the issue is outside your system. If it clears up, bump up the settings one at a time until things lag again. Maybe we can isolate the video effect that is hitting you. Also do you use and Aero desk Top?
!