Updating My Build..any tips?

borco

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Hey everyone, this is my build from late 2008. Both of my hard drives are failing now and Seagate is replacing them. I figure while I'm replacing them, I might as well see if anything else needs replacing. Now that it's been a few years, do you guys see anything that might be a bit out of date?

I primarily use Maya 2011 and Photoshop CS5 on my computer. Generally I'd like better playback in Maya when I watch my animations and faster playblasting.

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz
MB: Gigabyte GA-EP35
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 (used to have Crucial Ballistix but was getting a lot of problems with them)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB x2
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-450VX 450W
Case: Cooler Master CM 690

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

g-unit1111

Titan
I take it this isn't a gaming build, correct?

If so you might want to think about upgrading your motherboard and CPU to something more current. Either an Asus P8B or a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P paired with either a Xeon E3-1250 or an i7-2600K.

You also might want to update your PSU accordingly especially if you plan to use a new video card at any point.

You can certainly reuse your HD, video card, case, and OS for now.

borco

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I'm not a gamer, I only use this computer for video editing, 3D modeling in Zbrush and animation in Maya. Do you think the i7-2600k is a big step up from the i5-2500k?

g-unit1111

Titan

For what you will need it to do it certainly is. The 2600K handles hyper threading better than the 2500K does. For multi-threaded apps like CS5 and Maya that will definitely work to your advantage.

Alternately - you could use a workstation-specific CPU like the Xeon E3-1245 that I mentioned earlier: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115086

If you want to update something now, consider a SSD for the os and some apps.

Since your build is from 2008, I would consider waiting for april and ivy bridge.
Yes, the 2600K, particularly when overclocked will be a massive improvement. But ivy bridge 22nm will be faster and cooler yet. Normally, the price points will be the same, but youw ill get perhaps 10% more for your money.

g-unit1111

Titan

Why wait for Ivy though when you can get a Xeon now and it will be tailor-made for workstation apps like the OP needs?

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD SSD

I think you should get an SSD or better 2 and Raid0 them. you will love yourself much having cut down all that waiting in Maya and Photoshop

Just the SSD will make a noticeable difference. Otherwise you gotta basically build a new machine (cpu,mobo,ram,psu and then vga while ur at it)

borco

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012

For an SSD, how large would I need to go? Would a 32GB one be good enough for the OS, Maya, and CS5? Haven't had an SSD before.
Any that you recommend?

I don't know how much space maya and cs5 take. The os and a bit will fit on a 40gb ssd, but I really think 60gb would be the minimum.