Help with computer noise

xtremcarl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hey all,

So I just made my first computer and its running great except this whine/rattling noise that i hear. I first noticed it when playing games like warhammer and have tried to figure out whats causing it but without any luck.

The noise only comes when a game or gpu benchmark like furmark is running AND open. I can run furmark minimized without any problems but as soon as i bring it up the noise starts, and as soon as i minimize or close it it goes away. This is the same thing with the games.

I have opened up the case and stopped the fans on the gpu while the noise is happening and the noise continued so i don't think its the fans. I have also manually adjusted the fans on the gpu to every level from 40-100 and the noise doesn't show up. I am not sure if its the PSU or the GPU but it seems to be one or the other. I don't think its the CPU because when a run a cpu test like intel burn test the noise doesn't show up.

Any opinions on what is causing the noise and how I could fix it or figure out if its the PSU or GPU. Below is my relevant system info. If you need any future information to help me out please ask and thanks for any help/input.

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

Gigabyte GTX 560 ti
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

Asrock extreme3 gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&Tpk=asrock%20extreme3%20gen3

xtremcarl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. I decided to pull my PSU out of the case and see if the noise was coming from it or the GPU. It was coming from the GPU and not the PSU. I was thinking it might be coil whine on the GPU but that wouldn't go away by simply minimizing the window and come back instantly when i maximize it again. Or at least I wouldn't think so. I am using MSI afterburner and monitor all the stats including voltage when a window is minimized and when its maximized and they are the same. Could the video output part of the GPU be bad or making the noise? I have it hooked up from the mini hdmi port into a samsung syncmaster SA350 monitor.

Thanks

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I've herd of this before. I would like to know what i would have to replace on the GPU board to fix it. My buddy has a 9800GTX with the same issues you are having. His GPU is starting to artifact now as well. So I"m thinking it may be the card on the way out.

xtremcarl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Ah sorry to hear your friend is having the issue also. Sometimes when playing a game or just sitting on my computer it will start to artifact with the green dots all over the screen but all I have to do is jiggle the hdmi cable on the back of the gpu and it fixes the problem instantly. I have attributed the artifacting to a bad connection that comes a bit loose. I ordered a dvi cable and going to try that out when it gets here tomorrow and see if the artifacting continues. I have mine still at the factory clock of 822 which is well within what I see people running this GPU so don't think its coming from running at to high a MHz or to low a voltage.