Is my 450w Psu good enough for AMD 6770?

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
So i have a 450w psu with 26 amps ( 2 +12v rails ) and i am thinking of buying the 6770. Right now i have a 5550 and its just not enough for skyrim. I also have a Dual core OC to 3,4Ghz and 4 gb of ram, 750gb harddisk. So would you guys recommend i buy it? Is my psu enoug?

Any feedback appreciated,
Thanks.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
what is the brand of you PSU. just for reference i run a corsair cx500 which is a 500 watt supply with a 4.5 ghz overclocked 2600k with an overclocked 6950 with no problems

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
It's a CodeGen...i know it isnt a top of the line psu brand but is 26 Amps enough for the card? Ive seen people get the card to work with a similar psu but i just want to be sure before i put my money into it.

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks! I just came back from a local pc store and they said that a molex to 6pin comes with the gpu so in case i dont have a 6 pin connector i can just use the one that comes with the card instead. Also do you think my intel dual core e5400 oc @ 3,4ghz isnt a very big of a bottleneck to the 6770?

Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
I'll give my standard answer of don't do it. If you have a no name PSU that has the little red voltage select switch and lacks a PCIe plug, don't try to power a card that needs one. Sure it might work for awhile, but you will stress that PSU and who knows what could happen. Just buy a new PSU and remove the worry. Why risk your computer?

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Okay, i'll think about it... Even if i do buy the card, i'm sure i would buy a new psu in a month because right now i just can't afford both . However if the card won't work at all, then i will put my old card back in and just wait a bit until i can buy a new psu (Probably in the beginning/mid January).

Thanks anyways.

4745454b

Titan
It will probably work. The issue is the stress you'll put the PSU under by making it work in conditions it can't handle.

If you have $$$ now, I'd actually get the PSU. That way you won't forget to upgrade it later.

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Yea, i understand. I actually think that if i can't buy both atm, i'm gonna buy the Psu then first, because i have read people having bad experience with their Psu's when they fail.

So, i was wondering should i buy a Corsair 650w Psu for future upgrades also, or should i stick with a Corsair 500-550 watt? Because my current Cpu is Intel dual core e5400 OC to 3,4ghz and my mobo has a LGA 775 socket, so the best Cpu i can ever buy is the C2Q series...and those are expensive and hard to get these days so i'm not sure if it's worth it.

If i Would stay with my current cpu, would any future upgrades be pointless, because it might be too big of a bottleneck? I was thinking of maybe even going for the radeon 6850/70 after i get a new Psu but i'm not sure if it's worth it considering my current cpu is a dual core. What do you think?

Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
What GPU(s) will you be running? If you are likely to stick with a single card in the mid range at best, then a quality 500W unit will be fine. If you might be running CF/SLI, then you'll need PCIe plugs and 650-750W at least. Decide what GPU(s) you'll be running or likely to run and then buy your PSU based on that.

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I was thinking of going with the Amd radeon 6770, but before i buy a new psu i'm gonna google for the rest of the day and see if my current 26 amp 450w psu isnt enough... If i buy the 6770 now i could buy a good brand psu in the beginning of january. Do you think i would last that far?

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I hope so because i really want more fps in my games.... Saints row 3 runs at ~20 fps which is unplayable... Mw3 however runs smooth at 60 fps. So u refillable would say that my current psu can handle the 6770?

By these specs I found here, I'd say don't do it!
I'm guessing at your PSU since we don't have more details on it, but I'm betting it's under powered and the wattage is overrated. I'm betting it's only like a 250w PSU at best (12v x 16a = 192w on the 12v rail). I would be very weary of even hooking it up, if my fears are right on this one.

Features/Specifications:
Codegen 450W 20 + 4-pin ATX Switching Power Supply

General Features:
Large, Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan
Output: 450 Watt
Voltage: 115V/230V
Current: 10A/5A
Frequency: 50 ~ 60 Hz
One (1) 20+4 pin ATX power connector
Three (3) large Molex 4-pin power connectors
One (1) 4-pin Floppy connector
One (1) 4-pin 12V Power Connector
One (1) SATA connector

Specifications:
+3.3V / 20A
+5V / 25A
+12V / 16A
+5VSB / 2A
-5V / 0.5A
-12V / 0.8A

I'd say at least upgrade to this 400w PSU listed below:
Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Just for comparison sakes, it comes w/30A on the 12v rail (12v rail used mainly for GPU power). If you have future ideas of upgrading above an AMD 6850 GPU, than I'd suggest getting at least 500w or better QUALITY PSU (Antec/Corsair/Seasonic/PCP&C generally are quality PSU's).

cbrunnem

Distinguished

thats a different situation. if you dont have the recommended conector then just fork over the 60 bucks for a new PSu

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Im not planning to OC my cpu any further because then it will get real hot and i dont wanna risk it. But i'm talkin about 6770's compatibility with my psu here :)

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hmm okay. But do you think if i would buy the card now and buy the psu in ~15 days, could my current psu handle the card for that time? Some people here at local stores say that it could handle it, some say that they cant guarantee. Ive read that the 6770 really isnt a powerhungry card. And 26 amps is like 312 watts, ive seen here on tomshardware that a high end system with a 5770 uses 262 watts

ram1009

Distinguished

You have most likely been living on borrowed time for at least a couple years. It's time to pony up and get a PSU that will meet all your needs under all conditions, not one that's just barely big enough.

CryArctic

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I got this pc in the beginning of 2011. All im asking is if thos psu would last me a few weeks with the 6770 before i get a new psu

larkspur

Distinguished

I can tell that you definitely want to try the 6770 with your current PSU. That is totally up to you and I think most will agree that it will probably work (at least for a little while). Changing PSUs is a pain anyway. Your options are simple: 1) If you care about the longevity of your system, get a new well-branded PSU. Maybe even get one to carry with you into your next system. 2) If you aren't going to curl up and die if your old inexpensive PSU blows up your system with its new graphics card, then you might be able to get by without a PSU upgrade. But make sure your data is backed up and that you have plenty of fire suppression equipment, dying PSUs are unpredictable!