swampydrill

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Just bought a new PC, the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, not the greates spec i guess but i don't do gaming. It has an HDMI slot on it, if i run an HDMI cable from there to the TV, could i play items from the PC on the TV??

swampydrill

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Have connected the HDMI cable to the TV from my grahics card, i get the PC screensaver come up on the TV but no desktop etc, when a play a video on the PC i am getting the sound come through the TV but no video etc, not sure why. I know when i do presentations with a laptop i use the FN function to change my monitor but my desktop keyboard is quite basic and not sure how to transfer it

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
But can your see the mouse cursor? If you press shortly the "win" key, do you see part of the start menu?
If yes, then you should deactivate overscan on your TV. That is if you can, since not many TVs have it. If you cannot, then there should be some options from the nvidia control panel. Unfortunately I cannot tell you since I have not used nVidia HW for a long time.

If however you cannot see part of the start menu and you have Windows 7 (not sure about Vista, but XP won't work), you can try win+p to switch to different output configurations. The most reliable way seem to be to press "win" key followed by pressing "p" twice. Releasing the "win" key will activate the new config. Repeat this until you have the start menu (with win key if you cannot see the explorer bar). Windows has 4 configurations available for this: "Computer only", "Duplicate", "Extend" and "Projector only". The 1st win+p will bring up the menu, the 2nd will select the next option, simialr to alt+tab.

Update:...oops, seems you are in the 2nd case. You should ignore the 1st part.