Where is the wallpaper?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
In W2k if you save a picture on the web as wallpaper, what default folder is it stored? WINNT? It saved it as "Internet Explorer Wallpaper", I just need to rename it, but can't find its default location. I know its a simple answer, but unlike Win98, W2k has its uniqueness. Any help is appreciated.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Assuming that Win2K is installed on the primary drive, and the bootable partition is (C):

C:\Documents and Settings\*your user name*\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

The fast way to locate the files like this would be to type *.bmp at Start\Search\Files or Folders, and search only in (C). That will bring up all the .bmp files on that partition. Then you can choose to view the files alphabetically by name, and quickly locate the default location for the file.

Note: If you use a third-party viewer to set the wallpaper, like ACDSee, the file is located in WINNT.

See ya ...

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I don't use active desktop in w2k. My wallpaper is under C:\winnt and end with .bmp.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Thanks everyone for your help, but for some weird reason I still can't find the .bmp "Internet Explorer Wallpaper". I dual boot with C:\Win98SE & D:\W2k. I tried many search methods without success. IE 6.0 is the browser. I'll continue to search and if I find it in some odd location, I'll post again.

Thanks all!

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men