mubin

Distinguished
Hi all,

I buying a new cpu but tight on budget. So i am looking at these cpu:
i3-2100
phenom ii x4 955
fx-4100.

My main purpose of buying new cpu is to get rid of bottleneck. My gpu is hd6770 and my current cpu is pentium e5400 @ 3.6ghz. I want to use my gpu's full potential.

I know i3 is best among these at stock speed, but i definitely overclock my cpu. I have a CM hyper 212+ cooler and i want to use it for good. So what will be the best overclocker for gaming?

If overclocking amd cpu cant beat i3 then i will stay on i3 maybe. But my mind is telling me AMD.

Thank you.

imranfarid99

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Seems like your'e a Budget builder.........I would really recommend you the intel Core i3 2100 which is far far better than the other two amds.....the AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 performs almost equal to an i3 only when it is overclocked to about 4.2ghz........and the i3 2100 could beat any phenoms or FX out there now.....

i have the same i3 2100.......its a kinda great processor for the value ....i play battlefield at high res with absoluty no prob
and you can pair it with almost any descent graphic card out there upto a GTX 560 or a GTX 570 ( NO bottleneck because its got Hyper threading )

And my friend has a X4 955 and it sucks like ***......never trust amd ...............................you should have heard many people say " OH Amd is value for money and all that " .......trust its a waste as i've experienced

But my best words for you is sell your CM 212 cooler and buy a Descent i5 ( only if your budget allows or ) or save your money..................................................................................DONT BUY AMD PLZZZZ

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Of those I would get the Phenom II X4 955BE. The I3 will not overclock and overclocked the Phenom will take the win http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=289

I agree look there at stock speed gaming they are near the same. Outside gaming in anything that uses the cores the Phenom pulls ahead (and things are increasingly using available cores). Overclock it it will pull ahead you have the cooler and its an easy job to do.

Seems like your'e a Budget builder.........I would really recommend you the intel Core i3 2100 which is far far better than the other two amds.....the AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 performs almost equal to an i3 only when it is overclocked to about 4.2ghz........and the i3 2100 could beat any phenoms or FX out there now.....

Respectfully Imranfarid99 your talking CR@P. It performs almost equal at stock overclocked it pulls ahead. Overclocked to the speed you qoute..... well hence I disagree.

i have the same i3 2100.......its a kinda great processor for the value ....i play battlefield at high res with absoluty no prob
and you can pair it with almost any descent graphic card out there upto a GTX 560 or a GTX 570 ( NO bottleneck because its got Hyper threading )

You can pair any of those CPU's with the cards you mention and see no bottleneck threading is irrelevent. If anything 4 cores is better than 4 threads look at benchs in tasks that use the cores the Phenom pulls ahead. The graphical settings you play BF3 at are down to your GPU in multiplayer you dont get the same experience as the Phenom user though as in multiplayer BF3 USES THE EXTRA CORES (too crunch all the data on the 63 other people running about the field).

And my friend has a X4 955 and it sucks like ***......never trust amd ...............................you should have heard many people say " OH Amd is value for money and all that " .......trust its a waste as i've experienced

Of course you have....... I have an Uncle that owns the USS Nimitz.............. Fanboi-ism is fine but back it with facts. :non:

Mubin this is a thread we have alot here and there are many arguements either way but as you have a 212 and are willing to OC I think the Phenom would do you better.

imranfarid99

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
The Intel Core i3 is the clear winner anyway.......because even in gaming most 8/10 games out there utilizes only two cores...........

In this case the i3 can provide a huge boost with its hyper threading on its two cores.......

whereas the amd has four cores......but not powerful as the intel.........only when you OC the amd's to 4.5ghz it gives you compromising performance.........

Just sell your CM 212 and get something useful.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Imranfarid99 Do you lick windows?

A game that doesn't use Cores isn't going to use fake cores (threads) your hyper threading is not a bonus over 4 cores.

Can you read the posted benchmarks?

The performance difference gaming is Tiny (infact in some the Phenom wins) at stock speed so how the hell does it need to be 4.5GHz to be equal? Hell you claimed 4.2 earlier. Seriously go away and educate yourself if your going to be a fanboi troll use REAL FACTS not ones your childish mind just randomly invents.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=289

i3 2100 and a Phenom II 980 (thats 3.7 GHz and easy OC to achieve) let me type it out imran as following links is clearly BEYOND your mental capacity.

1 - The first mass of benchs show the Phenom pull ahead sometimes massivley in the non gaming tasks.

Now the games

Dragon age origins

Phenom - 121.4
i3 2100 - 123.4

2 Frames for i3 still not this huge gap you elude to imran

Dawn of War 2

Phenom - 60.1
i3 2100 - 66.1

6 frames for i3 I still dont see your huge gap imran infact your monitor wont display the difference there so YOU DONT see the gap either

WoW

Phenom - 80.6
i3 2100 - 94.1

14 frames to i3, beyond what your monitor shows but ok the i3 takes this one

Starcraft 2

Phenom - 42.5
i3 2100 - 45.4

3 frames to the i3. You can see 3 frames imran and call it a huge boost? let me guess you think its down to your hyper threading.

Crysis Warhead

Phenom - 83.8
i3 2100 - 85.5

2 Frames to the i3. Again I guess Imrans Super eyes can view these 2 frames

Farcry 2

Phenom - 55.5
i3 2100 - 59,2

ok i3 takes this one.

Left for Dead

Phenom - 130.8
i3 2100 - 121

Holy smoke batman! Imran look the Phenom beat your i3!!! Wait don't tell me your hyper threading was having a day off for personal reasons?

Fallout 3

Phenom - 87.5
i3 2100 - 86.4

Another Phenom win but so marginal does anyone care? Not like most peoples monitors will even show it.

Now add to this thats at 3.7 GHz Imran if we managed 4.5 like you claim those results would be somewhat different all those tiny victories your i3 claims would be melted away. However 4.0GHz is a more normal OC and then those also those few FPS gaps close.

Also to consider is the motherboard you get for the Phenom will have alot more features than the equivalent cheap Intel board.

Now Imran show me evidence I'm wrong not just made up conjecture please. I wait with baited breath.

So much fanboyism in the last few replies... :pfff:

Anyway, I agree that the Phenom II is the better choice, overall, here. You need a 2500K to truly destroy a Phenom II X4 980 (or 955 @ 3.7) in almost everything. The i3 2100 is a very good gaming CPU, but lacks elsewhere, in non gaming tasks (compared to the Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7).