Is it ok to leave parts in their original boxes before building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech_geek23

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I'm looking to build a system, but am on a tight budget and was wondering if I were to purchase my individual parts overtime (thinking less than a year) if it is ok (or even safe) to leave them in their original packaging until I had all my components ready to build. I understand that technology will likely advance in the time period but as long as I get the parts that likely would go out of production early as possible, I'd be fine right?

Solution
why not saving the money but the pc parts?

are u using them before u get the whole pc or just save in box?

if u just keep them in box, better keep money in your account.

it don't run out warranty nor outdate.

and mostly, new computer model coming out or price for value decrease over time.

should take that advantage, dude.

:)

4745454b

Titan
Normally they change the least. Yesterdays 1TB harddrive is very similar to todays. Same with cases and PSUs. Optical drives seriously haven't changed in possibly as long as a decade, with the exception of blu rays. The interface might have moved to SATA, but inside they are the same as IDE drives.

Basically, get the things first that don't change, then get the thing that do. CPU, GPU should be the last two you buy.

D

Deleted member 217926

The only bad thing I see with your idea is that the warranties on the various parts would likely expire with the parts still in the box....so if something failed you would be stuck replacing it out of pocket.

Tech_geek23

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I'd think other way around, especially since the MB is dependent on the CPU as to what socket it has. Wouldn't it be CPU/MB then RAM/HDD/GPU/optical

Tech_geek23

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

on average, what is the length of warranty on parts?

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Basically what they are trying to say is, each and every single year and sometimes even twice a year a new cpu and gpu lineup will be released with considerable improvements on the previous generation. It is suggested if you are saving and slowing gaining parts it is wisest to wait and get the cpu/gpu/motherboard last as those have the greatest frequency of advancement, as well as the greatest effect on your computers performance.

D

Deleted member 217926

Depends on the part. Like 3 years for a CPU but that is through Intel and most RAM is lifetime, hard drives can be 2-5 years ect. If you are ordering from newegg though you have a 30 day return policy before you have to deal with a manufacturer. And I would sure rather deal with newegg's return department than deal with any manufacturer.

myowaiwin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
why not saving the money but the pc parts?

are u using them before u get the whole pc or just save in box?

if u just keep them in box, better keep money in your account.

it don't run out warranty nor outdate.

and mostly, new computer model coming out or price for value decrease over time.

should take that advantage, dude.

:)

Solution

Tech_geek23

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

You make a great point, if I were to build one today it'd probably have Z68 with Core i5-2500K. Has there been any word on Ivy Bridge yet? Also, will Ivy Bridge use the same socket as the current Sandy Bridge chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.