Sapphire ATI 6870 Artifacts at around 75 C on Furmark

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2011 10:49:00 AM

Hi all,
I bought a Sapphire 6870 DiRT 3 Flex Edition 2 weeks ago, and I am really impressed after having integrated Intel and never having a dedicated card... yeah.

However, I am having some driver/GPU trouble and I was wondering whether the tech experts here can help out!

I'll start off with Screen Artifacts. I was playing on DiRT3 and left my computer for about 5 minutes on the DiRT 3 menu screen to come back to the screen split in half, the left of the screen being on the right, and the right of the screen being on the left, with a black border in the middle. Disabling my display driver in device manager and re-enabling it fixed the problem. I have installed an additional cooling fan in my case at the back which does reduce the temperature inside the case by a significant amount. So I heard about this Furmark thing and tested it out yesterday, and boy did it stress the card. I watched the temperatures increase on GPU-Z. However, when the temperature hit around 75 degrees C, my screen split in half again, instantly. Again, disabling the drivers and re-enabling them fixed it.

Now I have uninstalled, cleaned with Driver Sweeper in safe mode and installed drivers numerous times, mainly the 11.9 AMD Catalyst drivers, and now I have the 11.11 Catalyst drivers. Something which might help towards the problem is that with the 11.11 drivers, on Need for Speed World in the native resolution on my VGA (using a DVI-VGA converter) there is a massive black border around the game. I read about this online and found out that NFSW sets the screen frequency to 59Hz and there is a black border when that is the case. I found a registry hack which forces 60Hz on NFSW, but on the 11.9 drivers 59Hz didn't have the black border around the game. Not sure if this is relevant to my artifacts problem.

So if you guys have any advice towards the problem I am having, it would be much appreciated! The card is practically new and isn't overclocked (core clock of 900Mhz currently).

Thanks!

More about : sapphire ati 6870 artifacts furmark

December 11, 2011 9:46:40 PM

How much time it takes for your card to get to 75 C? If it gets to that in less than 10mins, your card may be under-ventilated and is overheating...
December 11, 2011 11:02:44 PM

Is case ventilation good?
December 12, 2011 1:29:16 PM

amuffin said:
Is case ventilation good?

Yeah I think so. I have back fans, side fans and front fans all in the right direction of standard ATX airflow, and ever since I installed my new back fan the setup is extremely quiet.

GPU idles at about 45-50 C but if I have been on a game and quit the idle temp will be a bit higher at around 53 C.

With the standard fan it got to 75 C in about 5 minutes, is that bad?
December 12, 2011 2:22:42 PM

madjam002 said:
Yeah I think so. I have back fans, side fans and front fans all in the right direction of standard ATX airflow, and ever since I installed my new back fan the setup is extremely quiet.

GPU idles at about 45-50 C but if I have been on a game and quit the idle temp will be a bit higher at around 53 C.

With the standard fan it got to 75 C in about 5 minutes, is that bad?

IT could possibly be a defective card.
December 14, 2011 8:36:21 AM

I have a sapphire 6870 dirt3... its in a antec300 case with 4 fans. Max temp it reaches is 70c after hours of BF3.
December 14, 2011 1:28:19 PM

computadoro said:
I have a sapphire 6870 dirt3... its in a antec300 case with 4 fans. Max temp it reaches is 70c after hours of BF3.

Mines is the Dirt3 Flex Edition which only has one fan, and the temperature in-game doesn't exceed 70c with my new fans. But with Furmark it exceeded 70c.

I see that ATI have released some new drivers, I am going to try those and see if they fix some of the problems. I hope they do!
!