Advice on a CPU upgrade.

Current Build

GPU: HD 6950
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2ghz (OC to 3.8ghz)
Heatsink: H60 watercooler
MB: Asus M5 A97
RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
HD: 1TB Barracuda.


Budget $600

Current upgrades in mind. I have been advised several times that my cpu is bottle necking my vid card. So I would like to upgrade my cpu/mobo. I was thinking about getting a i5 2500k, or maybe an i7 2600k, and I have no clue which mobo to get. I will probably also add another 8gb of ram.
13 answers Last reply
More about advice upgrade
  1. Is this for gaming only, or do you do anything else like video editing, folding, etc?

    - Jake
  2. It may be bottlenecking your card, but only by a bit, is it worth it for 5% more performance? 3.8GHz PHII cores are not in any way bad.
  3. Gaming only
  4. faztazfuk613 said:
    Gaming only
    Ok well you'd be fine getting an i5 versus an i7 if it's only for gaming. And you really don't need 16GB for gaming. But like 13thmonkey said, you're really not going to get much of an increase. But it's your call. Is that extra 5% worth it to you?

    - Jake
  5. In my case it's worth more than 5% because the game I'm playing is having trouble supporting AMD cpus, and Also I would like to Overclock past 3.8ghz, which the 1090T does not let me.

    Which MOBO should I go with?
  6. faztazfuk613 said:
    In my case it's worth more than 5% because the game I'm playing is having trouble supporting AMD cpus, and Also I would like to Overclock past 3.8ghz, which the 1090T does not let me.

    Which MOBO should I go with?
    I'd get this combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.909648

    If that's too expensive, then go for this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.910383

    Or if you want to stick to Sandy Bridge: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.912418

    - Jake
  7. Hi :)

    You are kidding right ?

    WHICH game cannot run on AMD cpu`s ?

    And your video card might be bottlenecking but 4 x 3800s are NOT...

    Buy a decent graphics card (think £500) and it will run ANY GAME...

    All the best Brett :)
  8. That isn't bottlenecking that card your seriously wasting money hell like brett says buy a better GPU if your a gamer.
  9. So I'm getting mixed responses here, what is the bottle neck? the cpu or gpu?
  10. faztazfuk613 said:
    So I'm getting mixed responses here, what is the bottle neck? the cpu or gpu?
    GPU. Like I said, your CPU is barely bottlenecking your card. I should've been more clear with this; my apologies.

    - Jake
  11. Whats the game giving you problems? That CPU at 3.8GHz is not going to be bottlenecking a mid range card. If its giving you trouble I'd wonder more if your Overclock is stable did you remember to increase the NB as well as the multi?
  12. yougotjaked said:
    GPU. Like I said, your CPU is barely bottlenecking your card. I should've been more clear with this; my apologies.

    - Jake


    Hi :)

    Sorry but you are totally wrong.... 4 x 3800 cpus are NOT bottlenecking anything....

    Its his card that is low end.... he needs a MUCH better one....

    All the best Brett :)
  13. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Sorry but you are totally wrong.... 4 x 3800 cpus are NOT bottlenecking anything....

    Its his card that is low end.... he needs a MUCH better one....

    All the best Brett :)
    Which is why I said his GPU is bottlenecking his system and I put emphasis on barely for his CPU. We both agree that he needs a better card. It might be my wording that is confusing...

    - Jake
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs HD Product