Custom Folder on Start Menu to Display as Menu

Hi.

I am wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction to create
an expandable folder on the Windows XP Start Menu, preferably near the
Control Panel icon. I have looked into an enormous amouunt of registry
tweaks and have not been able to uncover a solution.

Ideally I would like to do the following:
- Create a user specific system folder to hold Remote Desktop
Connections in the user's profile path (i.e. Documents and
Settings\UserName\...)
- Place Remote Desktop Connections in the folder
- Allow the folder to be displayed on the Start Menu in the same
fashion as "Network Connections" can be displayed as a "Connect To"
menu

Can this be done in the registry alone, or do I need to create Control
Panel applets, etc?

Cheers,

Sam.