S0L0

Honorable
May 18, 2012
i5 3570K is 238 right now vs 229 for 2500K, which is better for gaming. I plan on getting z77 mobo either way, and hd 7850. If later I want to crossfire, will pci 3.0 give any advantage over 2.0 with sandy? I know single 7850 makes no diff on pci 3 or 2, but how about crossfire?

One thing holding me back now, is that I have a hunch 2500K price will drop soon too...

Solution
From a historical point of view, do not expect new 2500K prices to drop. It has not happened in the past. The older chips are sold to the replacement market which is not that price sensitive.

On the used market, perhaps.
For the gamer, either the 2500K or the 3750K is as good as it gets for gaming.

For sli/cf, there is really no difference with ivy vs. sandy.

There are some benefits to the ivy bridge chips, but they are not particularly relevant to the gamer.

If you have a sandy, there is no big advantage to changing to ivy.
But, for a new build, I think I would go with the 3750K.

InvalidError

Titan
Sandy Bridge K-chips are popular with overclockers and are approaching end-of-production while Ivy Bridge K-chips production is ramping up so I'd say IB CPUs including K models are more likely to drop than SB K-chips.

As for SLI/crossfire, there already is very little difference between x8 and x16 on PCIE 2.0, it will only be even smaller on 3.0 with current GPUs. Things might change with next-gen GPUs.

From a historical point of view, do not expect new 2500K prices to drop. It has not happened in the past. The older chips are sold to the replacement market which is not that price sensitive.

On the used market, perhaps.
For the gamer, either the 2500K or the 3750K is as good as it gets for gaming.

For sli/cf, there is really no difference with ivy vs. sandy.

There are some benefits to the ivy bridge chips, but they are not particularly relevant to the gamer.

If you have a sandy, there is no big advantage to changing to ivy.
But, for a new build, I think I would go with the 3750K.

Solution

S0L0

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Sorry about that, I meant 3570K.. the 240 deal is limited time offer, but I'm considering waiting to see if it goes any lower than that.

The 2500k goes as low as 209 and is sitting at about 219 right now. That leaves some more room for the 3570K to drop. Not sure though, this price might not come around for awhile.

InvalidError

Titan

Intel's list price for the 3570k is $219 and my local computer parts store does sell it for $220.