Need help to setup a browsing center!

TheNandakumarss

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hi all!!!

I am new to this forum...

I am started a browsing center last month...

It contains 6 clients and one server, all are using Winxp pro with sp3...

Server has 2 Network Interface Card's,

First with ISP's Static ip
123.238.XXX.XXX

Second NIC with the following info:
IP: 192.168.0.1
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: As same as Ist NIC

And my client pc with the foll. info:

Ip As : 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and .....

With gateway as "192.168.0.1"

Now the problem is I cant access my client pc's (All in same workgroup name) via server and vice versa...

Whenevr i try to connect internet to clients, i always change my 2nd NIC in server to "192.168.0.2" and then change it to "192.168.0.1"

Why i have all these problems please help.......

It sounds like you're trying to use the server as a router (internet gateway). If so, you should be using ICS. You establish the Internet on one connection, then enable ICS on that same connection. ICS will automatically configure the other connection for you, and provide a DHCP server as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Frankly, you probably should be using a dedicated router for these purposes, but that's your call.

You don't want to use XP as a "server" it has a connection limit of clients that can attach to it.

If you buy a Router it will come with instructins on how to configure it. Should be easy as plugging the modem to the WAN port of the Router, and then hooking up the router to your existing network switch. Set your computers to use DHCP on the network cards if you have them for static. Router will share internet connection to all the PCs.

TheNandakumarss

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for your reply hang-the-9

I already have a Asus w/l router RT-g32...

I dont have a modem because the ISP provides a Power over Ethernet setup....

My thought is connect the PoE output to Asus's Wan port...

And connect my main system to the Asus anyone of the Ethernet port and connect one to switch from router...

Is this ok pal.....

TheNandakumarss

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks. Now i installed the router with my main system and take an output from router to switch that's all... it works fine....

But i need to setup my main pc as server and i cant able to view my server from clients through "My Network places"....

Because I have only USB printer!! How to connect the printer to my lan for sharing because my main pc was not able to share in client pc's .....

pls help

Do they all have unique IP numbers, through DHCP or are they set manually? What is seen in Network Neighborhood? Did you enable Print and File sharing and setup permissions?