small camera with very low shutter lag

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 24, 2005 6:38:58 PM

Hello,

I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
(<$300). Could you recommend anything?

Thank you!
Elana
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:42:21 PM

elanamig@gmail.com writes:
> I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
> to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
> (<$300). Could you recommend anything?

No. Especially if you're in the US, or else I'd suggest some of the
Ricoh Caplio models that are not sold here. Otherwise your best bet
is to ignore the marketing hype about megapixels and get either a
fixed focus Fuji (no AF lag) or else get a video camera.
May 24, 2005 7:45:08 PM

elanamig@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
> to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
> (<$300). Could you recommend anything?
>
> Thank you!
> Elana

Well, nothing spectacular - and almost all cameras will hunt a bit in
light that's too low for them.

Look at the Sony DSC-S90 (4 Mpixels, US$260), the Casio EX-Z55 (5
Mpixels, US$270, my favorite), the Canon SD300 (4 Mpixels, US$275) and
the Fujifilm F-10 (6 Mpixels, US$325 - but it's VERY fast). Stretch
your price a little bit more and there's the Canon SD500 (7 Mpixels,
US$500).

Good Luck!
ECM
May 24, 2005 8:34:06 PM

<elanamig@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
> to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
> (<$300). Could you recommend anything?

Get a camera with manual focus, and adjust for the distance between you
and the subject before shooting, rather than waiting for the camera to
hunt.

You might be able to find a decent used Oly c-5050z, which is great for
that sort of thing.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:26:34 PM

Pentax Optio S - tiny, short shutter lag. May still be short of 4 MP
in latest version.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:26:47 PM

On 24 May 2005 14:38:58 -0700, elanamig@gmail.com wrote:

>I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
>to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
>(<$300). Could you recommend anything?

This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
memory card):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_s...

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:19:44 AM

elanamig@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
> to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
> (<$300). Could you recommend anything?
>
> Thank you!
> Elana

Unfortunately, low price and low shutter lag don't go together. There
are some things you can do to minimize the delay, however. One thing is
to provide adequate ambient light. This allows faster shutter speeds,
smaller apertures, and can stop motion, and allow greater depth of
field, so that focus isn't as critical. Get close, use flash, and
anticipate. Failing that, save for a DSLR....

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Don Wiss wrote:
> On 24 May 2005 14:38:58 -0700, elanamig@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
>>to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
>>(<$300). Could you recommend anything?
>

> This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
> memory card):
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_s...
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Shutter lag and memory cards are unrelated. They can affect 'shot to
shot' time, but not shutter lag.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:35:30 AM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Don Wiss wrote:
>

>> This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
>> memory card):
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_s...
>>
>> Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
>
> Shutter lag and memory cards are unrelated. They can affect 'shot to
> shot' time, but not shutter lag.

Also, I wonder if the OP really means startup time.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

I find most of the Kodak series to have acceptably short lag.

<elanamig@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
> to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
> (<$300). Could you recommend anything?
>
> Thank you!
> Elana

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:28:05 AM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:26:47 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

> This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
> memory card):
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_s...

It does have low shutter lag, but with a fast enough memory card
it can take sustained pictures until the card is full. The bulkier
Kyocera Finecam M410R (uses AA batteries, has a 10x zoom and a
fairly high-res EVF) can also take sustained pictures, but I believe
that unlike the sl400r, its autofocus continues to operate as the
pictures are taken.
May 25, 2005 3:12:21 PM

On 24 May 2005 14:38:58 -0700, elanamig@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
>to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
>(<$300). Could you recommend anything?
>
>Thank you!
>Elana

Elana,

I use the manual mode on my digital P&S to solve the fast moving
children problem. The depth of field on digital P&S cameras is quite
large and if the camera has the ability to manually focus you can pick
an intermediate focus point and get a large region of the photograph
in focus at any one time (this assumes that you are not using the
telephoto region of the zoom lens and that you have reasonable light
levels). It can be quite effective, but does require some setup time.
My camera has a custom setting that allows me to save this setting.
The custom mode is on the same dial as the auto/Av/portrait/night/etc.
modes.

You might see if a friend's camera has this capability and experiment
before buying. My wife recently bought a used Canon G3 camera that has
4MP and two custom settings. We have one custom mode set for the
"grandkids".

The single setting on my camera is used in the same manner.

Regards,
Roger
!