Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ubuntu web server build

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2012 5:28:04 AM

Hey,

I was thinking of building a cheap server running Ubuntu server. It will be used to host a website for my father. Small buisness with about 7 pages.nothing special just basic website with about me, contact us, etc. I will run joomla on the server. I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible, as it will not generate crazy traffic. I may also want to throw a big hard drive down the road and use it for samba file sharing. Let me know what you guys think.
February 10, 2012 6:20:11 AM

I run similar webservers based off the Intel Atom D525 board with 4gb ram running Windows Server 2k8 and Apache running joomla 1.5 through that handles it very easily.
Web server usually require very little power untill they are either serving 1000's of users at once or running high use databases
February 10, 2012 7:52:03 AM

Yea this will never have 1000 users at once. It will be a very basic site for a small buisness. I looked at the intel atom and that does seem like a great setup. Anyone else want to share similar setups?
Related resources
February 10, 2012 8:13:49 AM

Also can you share how your webserver is layed out. I am curious on what people are doing with their home router? Multiple routers? Open up ports? Let me know what security measure you guys are taking?
!