Great LCD protector

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 24, 2005 8:15:51 PM

Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I went ahead
and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great product that
really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many sizes. I just put
one on a small Pentax Optio.

I'm not connected with the product in any way, just thought I'd share the
experience. BTW, it helps if you chamfer the edges on the side of the
protector that sits away from the camera. Can be a bit sharp.

Cost me all of $8, including shipping, and is a hard precut piece of
plastic, not a soft plastic sheet.
www.daproducts.com

Sheldon
sheldon@sopris.net

More about : great lcd protector

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:17:41 AM

Hmm.... Sure smells like spam to me.

"spam snipped"
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:17:42 AM

"TAFKAB" <not@right.now> wrote in message
> Hmm.... Sure smells like spam to me.
>
> "spam snipped"
No. I swear. Just a good product I thought I'd share.

Sheldon
May 25, 2005 4:37:06 AM

Thanks, Sheldon.

--
John

Sheldon wrote:
> Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I
> went ahead and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great
> product that really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many
> sizes. I just put one on a small Pentax Optio.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 6:49:53 AM

Sheldon wrote:

> Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I went ahead
> and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great product that
> really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many sizes. I just put
> one on a small Pentax Optio.
>
> I'm not connected with the product in any way, just thought I'd share the
> experience. BTW, it helps if you chamfer the edges on the side of the
> protector that sits away from the camera. Can be a bit sharp.
>
> Cost me all of $8, including shipping, and is a hard precut piece of
> plastic, not a soft plastic sheet.
> www.daproducts.com
>
> Sheldon
> sheldon@sopris.net

What happens when the LCD protector itself gets scratched? Can you
remove and replace it?

To me, 8 in any currency apart from Kwanzas is a little too much for a
piece of clear plastic.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:15:51 -0600, "Sheldon"
<sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

>Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I went ahead
>and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great product that
>really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many sizes. I just put
>one on a small Pentax Optio.
>
>I'm not connected with the product in any way, just thought I'd share the
>experience. BTW, it helps if you chamfer the edges on the side of the
>protector that sits away from the camera. Can be a bit sharp.
>
>Cost me all of $8, including shipping, and is a hard precut piece of
>plastic, not a soft plastic sheet.
>www.daproducts.com

I bought something similar a few years ago for a Kodak camera and
unfortunately I couldn't use it.

Firstly, the LCD surround on the camera was curved. The protector was
a flat, rigid piece of plastic and couldn't be bent.

Secondly, the protector had quite a large overlap meaning it fouled
many of the buttons.

I'm not saying the product isn't any use..it is, but only if it fits
your camera.

sponix
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:27:35 PM

TAFKAB wrote:
> Hmm.... Sure smells like spam to me.
>
> "spam snipped"

I don't think so in this case. Sheldon has been around for a while and
participated in a number of other threads.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:04:45 PM

Odie Ferrous wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I went ahead
> > and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great product that
> > really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many sizes. I just put
> > one on a small Pentax Optio.
> >
> > I'm not connected with the product in any way, just thought I'd share the
> > experience. BTW, it helps if you chamfer the edges on the side of the
> > protector that sits away from the camera. Can be a bit sharp.
> >
> > Cost me all of $8, including shipping, and is a hard precut piece of
> > plastic, not a soft plastic sheet.
> > www.daproducts.com
> >
> > Sheldon
> > sheldon@sopris.net
>
> What happens when the LCD protector itself gets scratched? Can you
> remove and replace it?
>
> To me, 8 in any currency apart from Kwanzas is a little too much for a
> piece of clear plastic.

Look at it this way. It's not $8 for a piece of plastic, it's an $8
insurance against breaking your LCD screen and having to pay 20 x $8 to
get it fixed.

Colin
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:04:46 PM

>> What happens when the LCD protector itself gets scratched? Can you
>> remove and replace it?
>>
>> To me, 8 in any currency apart from Kwanzas is a little too much for a
>> piece of clear plastic.
>>
> Look at it this way. It's not $8 for a piece of plastic, it's an $8
> insurance against breaking your LCD screen and having to pay 20 x $8 to
> get it fixed.
>
> Colin

That's the idea. It's held in place with double-sided tape, so it should be
fairly easy to remove. They give you plenty of extra tape if you need it,
and they recommend using dental floss to slide under the tape to remove it.
Mine is so small, and uses so little tape, it appears I could remove it
easily if the camera got warm and the adhesive softened. It's real plastic
that's 1/16" thick, and one side is supposed to be scratch resistant. They
silkscreen the edges where the tape goes in black, so you can't see tape.
Actually looks pretty nice on the camera, and I was surprised they have so
many sizes.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:04:47 PM

Wow, REAL PLASTIC!!

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
>>> What happens when the LCD protector itself gets scratched? Can you
>>> remove and replace it?
>>>
>>> To me, 8 in any currency apart from Kwanzas is a little too much for a
>>> piece of clear plastic.
>>>
>> Look at it this way. It's not $8 for a piece of plastic, it's an $8
>> insurance against breaking your LCD screen and having to pay 20 x $8 to
>> get it fixed.
>>
>> Colin
>
> That's the idea. It's held in place with double-sided tape, so it should
> be fairly easy to remove. They give you plenty of extra tape if you need
> it, and they recommend using dental floss to slide under the tape to
> remove it. Mine is so small, and uses so little tape, it appears I could
> remove it easily if the camera got warm and the adhesive softened. It's
> real plastic that's 1/16" thick, and one side is supposed to be scratch
> resistant. They silkscreen the edges where the tape goes in black, so you
> can't see tape. Actually looks pretty nice on the camera, and I was
> surprised they have so many sizes.

May 25, 2005 9:22:00 PM

> Wow, REAL PLASTIC!!

Sigh... I miss the good old days...
when plastic lasted forever... ;-)
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:08:54 AM

In article <4293F95D.88C3D655@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1 says...
> Look at it this way. It's not $8 for a piece of plastic, it's an $8
> insurance against breaking your LCD screen and having to pay 20 x $8 to
> get it fixed.

or for another take, it is a 5c piece of plastic and the remaining $7.95
is still paying off the tooling.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:13:58 AM

Sheldon wrote:

> >> What happens when the LCD protector itself gets scratched? Can you
> >> remove and replace it?
> >>
> >> To me, 8 in any currency apart from Kwanzas is a little too much for a
> >> piece of clear plastic.
> >>
> > Look at it this way. It's not $8 for a piece of plastic, it's an $8
> > insurance against breaking your LCD screen and having to pay 20 x $8 to
> > get it fixed.
> >
> > Colin
>
> That's the idea. It's held in place with double-sided tape, so it should be
> fairly easy to remove. They give you plenty of extra tape if you need it,
> and they recommend using dental floss to slide under the tape to remove it.
> Mine is so small, and uses so little tape, it appears I could remove it
> easily if the camera got warm and the adhesive softened. It's real plastic
> that's 1/16" thick, and one side is supposed to be scratch resistant. They
> silkscreen the edges where the tape goes in black, so you can't see tape.
> Actually looks pretty nice on the camera, and I was surprised they have so
> many sizes.

Ok, just found the site and purchased three screens for my 300D, and
they're $6, not $8, so that was even better. I got three as, being way
the hell down here in New Zealand, it'll take a week to get them, so I
figure a spare or two is wise.

Colin
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:47:34 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
>> Wow, REAL PLASTIC!!
>
> Sigh... I miss the good old days...
> when plastic lasted forever... ;-)

It does last forever--so long as you don't mind scratches and cracks...
:)
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:00:51 AM

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:15:51 -0600, "Sheldon"
> <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>
> >Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I went ahead
> >and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great product that
> >really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many sizes. I just put
> >one on a small Pentax Optio.
> >
> >I'm not connected with the product in any way, just thought I'd share the
> >experience. BTW, it helps if you chamfer the edges on the side of the
> >protector that sits away from the camera. Can be a bit sharp.
> >
> >Cost me all of $8, including shipping, and is a hard precut piece of
> >plastic, not a soft plastic sheet.
> >www.daproducts.com
>
> I bought something similar a few years ago for a Kodak camera and
> unfortunately I couldn't use it.
>
> Firstly, the LCD surround on the camera was curved. The protector was
> a flat, rigid piece of plastic and couldn't be bent.
>
> Secondly, the protector had quite a large overlap meaning it fouled
> many of the buttons.
>
> I'm not saying the product isn't any use..it is, but only if it fits
> your camera.
>
> sponix

This product is made for a number of specific models of camera. They
make one for the 300D, which is my camera, and it's sized and
silk-screened to exactly match the dimensions and borders of the 300D.

This is the one thing that I envied the D70 users for, the plastic
protector that comes with the D70. There is no protector with the 300D
as sold, so I'm pleased to get these.

Colin
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:00:52 AM

In article <42945AE3.66B0109F@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:15:51 -0600, "Sheldon"
> > <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I went
> > >ahead
> > >and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great product that
> > >really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many sizes. I just put
> > >one on a small Pentax Optio.
> > >
> > >I'm not connected with the product in any way, just thought I'd share the
> > >experience. BTW, it helps if you chamfer the edges on the side of the
> > >protector that sits away from the camera. Can be a bit sharp.
> > >
> > >Cost me all of $8, including shipping, and is a hard precut piece of
> > >plastic, not a soft plastic sheet.
> > >www.daproducts.com
> >
> > I bought something similar a few years ago for a Kodak camera and
> > unfortunately I couldn't use it.
> >
> > Firstly, the LCD surround on the camera was curved. The protector was
> > a flat, rigid piece of plastic and couldn't be bent.
> >
> > Secondly, the protector had quite a large overlap meaning it fouled
> > many of the buttons.
> >
> > I'm not saying the product isn't any use..it is, but only if it fits
> > your camera.
> >
> > sponix
>
> This product is made for a number of specific models of camera. They
> make one for the 300D, which is my camera, and it's sized and
> silk-screened to exactly match the dimensions and borders of the 300D.
>
> This is the one thing that I envied the D70 users for, the plastic
> protector that comes with the D70. There is no protector with the 300D
> as sold, so I'm pleased to get these.
>
> Colin

Giottos sells precut sets of 3 protectors that mount without adhesive to
LCD screens. They come with a microfiber cloth to clean the screen and
the lens as well as a scraper card to smooth out any air bells
underneath the protector when it is applied to the screen. They come in
sets of 3 in 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.3" One size is bound to
be right for a 300D.

They sell for about $5.00 in camera stores.

One big advantage of these (besides being crystal clear) is that they
use no adhesive so there is no possibility that they can pull the cover
glass off the LCD when they are removed.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
May 26, 2005 3:00:52 AM

Colin D wrote:

> s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:15:51 -0600, "Sheldon"
>><sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Someone posted the site for daproducts here a few days ago, and I went ahead
>>>and ordered one of their LCD protectors. This is a great product that
>>>really protects your LCD screen, and they come is many sizes. I just put
>>>one on a small Pentax Optio.
>>>
>>>I'm not connected with the product in any way, just thought I'd share the
>>>experience. BTW, it helps if you chamfer the edges on the side of the
>>>protector that sits away from the camera. Can be a bit sharp.
>>>
>>>Cost me all of $8, including shipping, and is a hard precut piece of
>>>plastic, not a soft plastic sheet.
>>>www.daproducts.com
>>
>>I bought something similar a few years ago for a Kodak camera and
>>unfortunately I couldn't use it.
>>
>>Firstly, the LCD surround on the camera was curved. The protector was
>>a flat, rigid piece of plastic and couldn't be bent.
>>
>>Secondly, the protector had quite a large overlap meaning it fouled
>>many of the buttons.
>>
>>I'm not saying the product isn't any use..it is, but only if it fits
>>your camera.
>>
>>sponix
>

> This product is made for a number of specific models of camera. They
> make one for the 300D, which is my camera, and it's sized and
> silk-screened to exactly match the dimensions and borders of the 300D.
>
> This is the one thing that I envied the D70 users for, the plastic
> protector that comes with the D70. There is no protector with the 300D
> as sold, so I'm pleased to get these.
>
> Colin
Some Olympus cameras come with a similar protector, others don't. I wonder why they don't
just put them on all of their cameras.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:39:41 PM

Bob Salomon wrote:

> In article <42945AE3.66B0109F@killspam.127.0.0.1>,
> Colin D <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > This product is made for a number of specific models of camera. They
> > make one for the 300D, which is my camera, and it's sized and
> > silk-screened to exactly match the dimensions and borders of the 300D.
> >
> > This is the one thing that I envied the D70 users for, the plastic
> > protector that comes with the D70. There is no protector with the 300D
> > as sold, so I'm pleased to get these.
> >
> > Colin
>
> Giottos sells precut sets of 3 protectors that mount without adhesive to
> LCD screens. They come with a microfiber cloth to clean the screen and
> the lens as well as a scraper card to smooth out any air bells
> underneath the protector when it is applied to the screen. They come in
> sets of 3 in 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.3" One size is bound to
> be right for a 300D.
>
> They sell for about $5.00 in camera stores.
>
> One big advantage of these (besides being crystal clear) is that they
> use no adhesive so there is no possibility that they can pull the cover
> glass off the LCD when they are removed.

Yes, I already have a screen protector of this type on my 300D, of a
different brand, but it offers no mechanical protection from knocks
which might break the LCD. I think mechanical protection as well as
scratch protection is worthwhile.

Colin
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:32:20 PM

Bruce Graham wrote:

> or for another take, it is a 5c piece of plastic and the remaining $7.95
> is still paying off the tooling.

That was my drift...

OD
!