Sign in with
Your question

Processor failure diagnostic beeps?! system working fine?

Last response: in CPUs
May 26, 2012 10:16:33 PM

Hey I just replaced my motherboard after my old motherboard died. I was upgraded from the MSI P67A-C43 to the G45 motherboard after I RMA'd it and After I recieved it the board looks like it may have been used because I found there was dust on the back after I opened it from the sealed packaging (Maby repaired?)

I only just put this computer together and I'm still using my MSI P67A-G45 with the old bios (v1.80).

I found my motherboard was giving out diagnostic beeps during bootup although from what I can tell everything is sweet and dandy (I have experienced 1 blue screen after bootup however). 5 beeps... looked it up and it says.
5 Beeps: Processor failure

Diagnosis: There is a problem related to the processor or motherboard. Note that this doesn't mean that the processor is necessarily dead; with a dead processor the system won't boot at all (it runs the BIOS code that is used to start up the PC.)

Recommendation: Troubleshoot the processor. If the processor is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.

"Note: My computer wouldn't power up at all when my system died... this processor obviously isn't dead though"

I've been running Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Minecraft and World Of Tanks perfectly fine around the previously recorded FPS using EVGA Precision

Specs

CPU: i5 2400 @ 3.6ghz
MB: MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
RAM: 4x2gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz
GPU: EVGA GTS 450
PSU: Corsair TX650

Thanks in Advance!
May 26, 2012 10:55:20 PM

I was thinking if this was a repaired part it could still have the error code on the bios... I might update it later and see if it still gives the error code

Also just wanted to add this, it might be of help... maby?
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2383676
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2012 11:06:23 PM

Its standard practice for some companies to replace RMAed parts with reburbished or open box parts. They have to be repaired/tested while not every part off the line is fully tested, so you can generally expect refurbs to work. little odd with the dust and old BIOS though.

Wouldn't expect the code to stick but I would def update the BIOS as a first step
Related resources
May 26, 2012 11:26:52 PM

You don't think there's a problem with my CPU then? This is the first time i've run my memory at its specified speed of 1600mhz in XMP mode so that could of easily caused the blue screen...

"little odd with the dust and old BIOS though."

It's fine dust on the back of the motherboard, I noticed it when I was fitting the backplate... the rest of the motherboard is spotless and even had the protective plastic on the chipset heat sinks.

"update the BIOS"

I'm probably going to update it tomorrow because it's getting late.

Thanks unksol! :D 
May 27, 2012 8:35:36 AM

I've updated the bios and the error code has gone :D 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 9:07:14 AM

good job!
could you please give unksol best answer so the mods can close the thread please.
May 27, 2012 10:23:26 AM

Anonymous said:
good job!
could you please give unksol best answer so the mods can close the thread please.

I accidentally opened this as a discussion :( 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2012 10:35:38 AM

OH!!!
sorry should have seen that . .no worries.
!