Shipping a CPU || How Do You Package It?

I am selling my old E8400 to a guy on Ebay but have no idea how to package this delicate piece. I've seen things like anti static peanuts and foam, but it seriously costs $20+ and I am not going to pay that much. Give me some tips that would cost a lot and protect the pins?

Thanks ^^
6 answers Last reply
More about shipping package
  1. You can just wrap the CPU in a small anti static bag and since you don't want to pay for any packing foam or packing peanuts, you can always tear up a newspaper and use that.
  2. CDdude55 said:
    You can just wrap the CPU in a small anti static bag

    With PGA chips, there is a risk of bending pins during shipping without some sort of "bumper" material around the substrate to minimize/eliminate contact between pins and anything else.
  3. InvalidError said:
    With PGA chips, there is a risk of bending pins during shipping without some sort of "bumper" material around the substrate to minimize/eliminate contact between pins and anything else.


    This is true, granted if the chip is packed tightly enough with enough matieral around the chip then it should be find. In order for the pins to bend they must come in contact with something, but if they are in the middle of packing matieral, i don't see what could cause such a thing to occur. Nothing within the box can cause harm is even if the CPU was bouncing around, nothing could cause enough force to bend a pin(asumming all that's in the box is packing material), and if it's packed tightly enough the CPU won't/barley move at all. Having a bumper at the bottom of the chip does protect it better no doubt, but it's really not nesscirary in this case imo.

    The only real issues comes from how it's shipped. If the carrier is not mindful, then it can cause serious damage.(like if it gets crushed by a bigger box, even though most carriers i think understand that putting a smaller box under a bigger box is idiotic.)
  4. I may have worded this wrong do I will write it again

    I will use peanuts for packaging, just not that anti staic crap. I mean, the bag yes but for the peanuts, no. It is like $20 for a small amount.
  5. CDdude55 said:
    In order for the pins to bend they must come in contact with something, but if they are in the middle of packing matieral, i don't see what could cause such a thing to occur.

    Hit the box hard enough for the CPU to slip sideways inside the anti-static bag, if one of the pins snags on the bag due to a small crease or bump from packaging material, the CPU may have enough inertial energy to bend pins. That's why tray and retail packaging lift and constrain the CPUs by their edges.
  6. InvalidError said:
    Hit the box hard enough for the CPU to slip sideways inside the anti-static bag, if one of the pins snags on the bag due to a small crease or bump from packaging material.


    Seems highly unlikely. But if you have had experiances with this issue or know someone who has, then i concede to your point. I have never shipped a CPU, so i am ignorant on the matter for the most part.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Ebay