Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • AMD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2011 7:29:09 PM

Hello,

I'm planning an upgrade path for myself. Currently, I'm on a Socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 system with a 7600Gt.

I'm going AMD for my upgrade. I am considering getting a mobo with integrated graphics for the time being, so I can have a working system without the initial expense of buying a GPU. But I'm having trouble figuring out if this is a worthwhile strategy. I'm not sure if I would be better off just keeping the 7600GT and upgrading later.

I guess the crux of the matter is - are any of the current AMD integrated solutions better that the 7600GT, and if so is it worth limiting my choice of mobo's to only those?

Any input or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

More about : 7600gt current integrated graphics

a c 291 U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 7:46:22 PM

Hey check this chart:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fastest-graphics-card-rad...

It doesn't list AMD integrated solutions, though it mentions intel's. Well, As far as it goes, 7600 GT a little bit faster than Intel HD 3000, which is in the newest intel processors. Also, the trend has changed a bit: now integrated graphics are part of the processor, not motherboard.

One last thing. What are you building the computer for?
m
l
December 11, 2011 7:47:52 PM

Depending on your computer use and needs you might be interested in one of the AMD FM1 socket processors. They have integrated graphics that run circles around intel integrated graphics.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 8:06:26 PM

I wouldn't go the route that spasmolytic46 mentioned since you DO plan on buying a dedicated GPU in the future.
But the FM1 socket AMD processors are generally the only integrated solutions that one could game (very minimally) on.
I wouldnt go with it because for one they arent very good for gaming (equivalent to a very low end GPU), and for two the CPU itself is slow so once you get a dedicated video card you will be stuck with a pretty slow CPU.

I would recommend since you seem to be on a budget, get a H67mobo/i3-2100, and use your 7600gt for the time being until you get a dedicated video card.

Alternatively you can get a cheap AM3+ mobo, and a phenom II x4 955/965 CPU and again use your 7600gt for the time being until you get a dedicated video card.

Personally I would go with the i3-2100 because it's cooler, quieter, doesnt require any overclocking, uses far less power, and you will have the ability to upgrade in the future to significantly faster intel CPUs.

Bottom line: integrated graphics are still pretty worthless for gaming, as much as your old 7600gt

m
l
December 11, 2011 8:33:37 PM

amirp said:
I wouldn't go the route that spasmolytic46 mentioned since you DO plan on buying a dedicated GPU in the future.
But the FM1 socket AMD processors are generally the only integrated solutions that one could game (very minimally) on.
I wouldnt go with it because for one they arent very good for gaming (equivalent to a very low end GPU), and for two the CPU itself is slow so once you get a dedicated video card you will be stuck with a pretty slow CPU.

I would recommend since you seem to be on a budget, get a H67mobo/i3-2100, and use your 7600gt for the time being until you get a dedicated video card.

Alternatively you can get a cheap AM3+ mobo, and a phenom II x4 955/965 CPU and again use your 7600gt for the time being until you get a dedicated video card.

Personally I would go with the i3-2100 because it's cooler, quieter, doesnt require any overclocking, uses far less power, and you will have the ability to upgrade in the future to significantly faster intel CPUs.

Bottom line: integrated graphics are still pretty worthless for gaming, as much as your old 7600gt

I beg to differ. Read the reviews, these people seem more than happy. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 8:46:21 PM

lol bro those CPU's are as slow as athlon II x4, and the integrated graphics cards are useless... you cannot game at any level higher than low on a modern monitor with good resolution.

TBH other than in OEM systems for the average user who doesnt understand computers they seem pretty useless (maybe useful for HTPC, i dont know).

But if you aren't gaming buying the faster phenom IIx4 or i3-2100 is always a better option, and if you are gaming using them is useless because both the CPU and GPU are slow.

Reviews are happy because they bought a product that works (doesnt mean it's the best option)...
show me one where the guy is happy because he is gaming exceptionally

For example $110 for phenom 960T : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or $125 for i3-2100 (my preferred option): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and then look at the A8, it costs more than both of those, much slower CPU and uses a 6550D, which according to toms is pretty well equivalent to OP's ancient 7600gt. ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fastest-graphics-card-rad... ).
m
l
December 11, 2011 8:51:43 PM

amirp said:
lol bro those CPU's are as slow as athlon II x4, and the integrated graphics cards are useless... you cannot game at any level higher than low on a modern monitor with good resolution.

TBH other than in OEM systems for the average user who doesnt understand computers they seem pretty useless (maybe useful for HTPC, i dont know).

But if you aren't gaming buying the faster phenom IIx4 or i3-2100 is better, and if you are gaming using them is useless because both the CPU and GPU are slow.

Reviews are happy because they bought a product that works (doesnt mean it's the best option)...
show me one where the guy is happy because he is gaming exceptionally

Not everybody need a top of the line processor, not even for gaming. The OP also states he wants something with integrated graphics for the time being. So with a video card upgrade at some point in the future this is a good solution. Also if you actually read reviews you'd see people talking about how surprised they were at how playable their games are.
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 11, 2011 8:52:19 PM

this should give an Idea as to the worth of the APU............ pretty darn good if I say so myself. and later you can add any graphics card ( mid-high end..... or a $100 or less to xfire -- appropriate card required --) to the system

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mV7M.VO_V0AdWtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=120r0rhms/EXP=1323672571/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=LxlQLzOCxEc
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 9:00:26 PM

A8 APU = 140 (bad for gaming, fairly low end CPU).

Phenom II x4 960T (can unlock to six core and overclock alot) + HD6570 (SEVERAL tiers above the A8's integrated gpu) = $160
(if he spends a bit more he can get much more powerful cards, and blow away the A8).

Deciding which to buy is a no brainer...

lol but w/e you say recommend him useless products because the customer reviews say so.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 9:04:12 PM

Also where did I say he needs a top of the line processor? I am simply saying for the cost of the A8, he can get a much better processor in the form of Phenom II or the intel i3. And for now use his 7600 gt which is pretty well on par with the A8.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-overclocking,r...
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 11, 2011 9:07:02 PM

maybe you missed the beginning of his post ?

"I'm going AMD for my upgrade. I am considering getting a mobo with integrated graphics for the time being, so I can have a working system without the initial expense of buying a GPU"

what can be better and more cost effective ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 9:07:30 PM

swifty_morgan said:
this should give an Idea as to the worth of the APU............ pretty darn good if I say so myself. and later you can add any graphics card ( mid-high end..... or a $100 or less to xfire -- appropriate card required --) to the system

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mV7M.VO_V0AdWtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=120r0rhms/EXP=1323672571/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=LxlQLzOCxEc

lol did you see the video? Pretty darn good? he is running everything on low, why would you want to do that to yourself if you can spend a little more for a real graphics card and a better cpu.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 9:11:31 PM

swifty_morgan said:
maybe you missed the beginning of his post ?

"I'm going AMD for my upgrade. I am considering getting a mobo with integrated graphics for the time being, so I can have a working system without the initial expense of buying a GPU"

what can be better and more cost effective ?

amirp said:
A8 APU = 140 (bad for gaming, fairly low end CPU).

Phenom II x4 960T (can unlock to six core and overclock alot) + HD6570 (SEVERAL tiers above the A8's integrated gpu) = $160
(if he spends a bit more he can get much more powerful cards, and blow away the A8).

Deciding which to buy is a no brainer...

lol but w/e you say recommend him useless products because the customer reviews say so.

Maybe you missed MY post above you? $20 more for better CPU (960T) and much better GPU (6570)? you're right that is not cost effective at all :??: 

You are also missing the point that he ALREADY has a 7600 gt he can use which is similar in performance to the A8... so spend less get better CPU, use 7600 gt.

Finally you also missed the part where he said he would buy another gpu in the future.
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 11, 2011 9:12:16 PM

I don't want to get in a pissing match with you and destroy this persons thread ... BUT.......... try watching the video from beginning to end and you'll be saying "sorry, didn't watch the whole video"......... especially the part where he says hes playing on high at 1080p.................

and intel runs DX10 the APU DX11........ suppose linus makes the games run in DX10 like intel. the gap gets bigger.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 9:13:09 PM

20... dollars.... more .... for .... better..... cpu....and .... GPU what do you not understand?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 9:26:28 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I don't want to get in a pissing match with you and destroy this persons thread ... BUT.......... try watching the video from beginning to end and you'll be saying "sorry, didn't watch the whole video"......... especially the part where he says hes playing on high at 1080p.................

LOL okay so I saw the video, where he is playing dirt on all high at 1080 p he is using another extra graphics card (6670).
When he repeats this with JUST the A8 at all high and 1080p it is unplayable (29fps.).

so let me get this straight you want OP to buy a A8 for $140, then add a 6670 for $90 (cheapest plus shipping) = $230 so that he can play dirt 2 on high without dx11, and with 0 Anti Aliasing?

buy the i3-2100 = $125 + 6770 $120 = $240 TOTAL (and this is without rebates and including shipping). This system would DESTROY the system you have suggested above for $10 more, and from experience I can tell you a 5770 and i3-2100 can max out dirt 3 with dx11 and antialiasing.

After this post if you recommend the A8 for the OP, I can only assume you are being payed for each one that is sold.
m
l
!