Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Signal goes out after a few minutes of gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2011 9:16:13 PM

Hey guys,

Yesterday I built a PC for a friend and we've been having some trouble. It works fine until he tries to play Empire: Total War. He starts the game, and after a few minutes of actual demanding play it starts to lag, and eventually the monitor will say "No DVI Signal" although the Computer is still running. I re-installed drivers and I dont think its overheating, but I believe it to be a problem with the video card because the monitor works fine during normal use and i even switched DVI cords to see if that was the issue. Any ideas how to fix/diagnose this problem?

Build:

i5-2500k
EVGA GTX 570
MSI P67A-G43
G. Skill 8 gb DDR3
Corsair tx650

thanks,

Griffin
a c 1316 U Graphics card
a c 94 C Monitor
December 11, 2011 10:44:39 PM

Card or PSU can one or the other be tried in a different computer?
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2011 11:00:19 PM

Is this stock clocks all around or what are the overclocks?

I had a hearty overclock on a 570, and in only case, using Unigine's Heaven benchmark, I'd get the "no signal" from the monitor. It worked fine at the settings in every other title. Try stock clocks, if its overclocked, and works fine in other titles, its possible the 570 needs to be downclocked for that title, or needs a slight bump in voltage. Tread carefully there. If it happens with stock clocks all around, well then its time to decide how important that game is, hehe, j/k, start testing whatever hardware you can in another system, etc, like the previous poster stated.
Related resources
a c 212 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 11, 2011 11:38:28 PM

gbrew345 said:
I re-installed drivers and I dont think its overheating, but I believe it to be a problem with the video card because the monitor works fine during normal use and i even switched DVI cords to see if that was the issue. Any ideas how to fix/diagnose this problem?

Why don't you confirm it ? Download OCCT and run the GPU test ..... monitor voltages and temps until the monitor craps out again. Look at the voltage / temperature graphs to find out what the problem is.
December 11, 2011 11:44:43 PM

I can try the card on my computer, but im pretty sure its not the PSU because the computer doesn't shut off when the signal goes out. Also, I tried other games and the problem persists so its not a memory leak or anything i dont think... The TX650 seems pretty nice, do you really think that could be the problem? All the settings on the GPU are at stock, so is a faulty card to blame? thanks for the help
a c 1316 U Graphics card
a c 94 C Monitor
December 11, 2011 11:48:44 PM

Well for some reason the card shuts off either it is faulty or it is not getting the power it needs! More likely the card!
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2011 3:33:16 AM

Yeah and usually if a card drops out, if you could see it, it would probably drop to its 2D profile, or low idle settings. I see that with MSI Afterburner on the keyboard's LCD, so when the monitor whonks out, I still have all of my cpu, gpu usage/temps/speeds to look at when I kuss out the monitor.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2011 3:39:13 AM

Use this link to download the latest firmware for the graphics card. I just did it for my cards. Its simple, easy, and direct from EVGA so its not a warranty issue when used.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1034790

Yeah, just starting to cover all the bases, starting with the basics here. If its a faulty card, I suppose its possible a firmware attempt may reveal an issue. I doubt it, but, you never know.
December 12, 2011 4:28:28 AM

This is usually caused due to unstable overclocks when your gfx driver hangs, try some gpu burn in test for your overclock configurations or straightly try lowering your overclocks. this will surely work as it worked for me too!
December 12, 2011 8:35:14 PM

Everything is at stock, it shouldn't be unstable. I will try this all soon.
!