CPU bottleneck question ???

nomad_1911

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I have Phenom II 555,and i was wondering what graphics cards can be paired with it without the cpu being the 'bottleneck'.When will this cpu become bottleneck,would it hold back cards like radeon 6870 or nvidia gtx 560ti ???

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
yes it will hold back these cards but dont worry about it. you can get yourself any card you like the bottleneck will not be that bad or noticable at all maybe about 10 - 20 FPS on high end cards. that is it.

randomkid

Distinguished

No it wont be bottlenecked by 6870. The Phenom II 555 is a very good gaming CPU except for a few CPU intensive games.
What is your monitor resolution & the games you wish to play on?

G

in gaming that is using just 2 cores, like in most games, it will perform similar to a PIIx4 955 (same clock rate)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/120?vs=88

so with even a 7970:
Metro2033.png

What graphics card are you using now?

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

nomad_1911

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Currently i'm using radeon 6670 so it's obviously bottlenecking the cpu in this case,so i cant really test the cpu with it,thx for the reply,cheers !!!