Sign in with
Your question

Home system to broadcast cable television...

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2012 1:33:09 PM

Is it possible to build a computer that recieves my cable television/internet signal and broadcast it out to all of the televisions in the house?

my home was affected by a flood back in august so I packed up the basics and moved into my parents house until the contractor could finish the work. after many headaches, hold ups with the bank and insurance company and what not I finally moved back in only to find the contractor not only ripped out my cable drops through-out the house but did not have the common sense to replace them... now I could call him back, have him rip down the walls again and run it all but I've been out of the house for over half a year and I'd rather not put it back under construction!!

I've built a few computers and know my way around a system but I'm not sure if this kind of build is possible... a wireless system that broadcast to the entire house, so each T.V could watch a different channel. I'm not interested in a home server but it happens to be a byproduct of this build I wouldn't mind intergrated.

for creativity's sake let's say money is no limit.

thanks to anyone willing to help
February 10, 2012 2:00:51 PM

If AT&T Uverse is available to you, they have a wireless cable system where I believe you have one cable coming in and it broadcasts wirelessly to all the boxes. I have no experience with it but it's fairly new.
m
l
February 10, 2012 2:03:38 PM

Each cable/sat box has a number if tuners. 1 tuner = 1 channel. Right now dish has 2 tuner box's that can run 2 tv's at a time. As for more, i dont think there is going to be a way.

Call an electrician. tell him you need RG-6 (standard coax) cable installed in multiple points with some wall fishing. You would also want all the cables to come to 1 point of d-mark, so you can plug in cable/sat easy.

There is no easy way of doing what you want. You are going to need the lines it seems.

Any one else have a solution?
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2012 2:04:30 PM

bliq said:
If AT&T Uverse is available to you, they have a wireless cable system where I believe you have one cable coming in and it broadcasts wirelessly to all the boxes. I have no experience with it but it's fairly new.

Good call!

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/wireless-receiver.js...
m
l
February 10, 2012 2:25:03 PM

@inerax

I have 1 box per TV... could I have a system broadcast the cable signal out to each tuner and hook a reciever onto the back of each one where the cable would be routed in?

also I know a good electrian, i never thought to call them for a cable issue. if there is no way to do this via computer (I like the idea of a home network broadcasting) I will call him =D
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b x TV
February 10, 2012 2:42:30 PM

The problem with doing this over the computer is that every other TV would need another computer or media extender. While AT&T U-Verse may be an option, I've never been a fan of wireless networking through a home, unless you have access points in each room.

One other option you may want to consider is rather than having your electrician run new coax cabling throughout your home, have him run Cat5/5e/6 networking cable and look into the up-coming Ceton Q and Echo devices.

-Wolf sends
m
l
February 10, 2012 3:29:57 PM

I work for Comcast right now and we do not have anything like that.

I worked for Dish in the past and they had nothing like that.

The only option that i can find would be the ATT one.

Contact your cable/sat provider and see how much they charged for unwired additional outlets to be installed.

It was around $30-40 per outlet when i last checked the Colorado market.

mcopinger said:
@inerax

I have 1 box per TV... could I have a system broadcast the cable signal out to each tuner and hook a reciever onto the back of each one where the cable would be routed in?

also I know a good electrian, i never thought to call them for a cable issue. if there is no way to do this via computer (I like the idea of a home network broadcasting) I will call him =D

m
l
!