kiwiturkey

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
Hi, i am very new to computers. I am looking for an upgrade to the cheapest, but strong processor for the LGA 775 socket. I know it is very old, but i don't want to buy another motherboard. Can you guys help me find a LGA 775 processor that can play games like Diablo 3, LoL, HoN, WoW, and etc.
Any other suggestions such as motherboards would also help

kiwiturkey

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
sorry about that. im not looking for another motherboard. if you guys have more ideas of LGA 775 cpus that can run diablo 3 wtih high fps, please reply. Also i am looking for price ranges of $50-$99. Its okay if it's used, but has to be usable.

Well, I need to know what your current motherboard is to make a recommendation. Compatibility may be an issue, and there's no way to give you a solid recommendation without knowing what is compatible with your current motherboard.

And yes, your current CPU too, so we know how much of an improvement a new CPU will be and if it's worth it.

Alright, that's fine, just come back here when you get the system back and let us know.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
About 6yrs ago I upgraded my 2.8GHz CPU on my old Dell Dimension 4700 to a socket LGA 775 Intel Pentium 4 670 3.8GHz CPU for $140. This same CPU can now be purchased used on eBay for around $25. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computer-Components-Parts-/175673/i.html?_nkw=intel%20pentium%204%203.8GHz&_sop=15

It's important to note that on many (if not most) pre-built PC's upgrading the CPU often requires an upgrade of the manufacturers proprietary CPU cooling assembly. For my PC this cost an additional $45 ($28 @ today's prices W/all new OEM parts S&H not included)

While it's certainly debatable whether upgrading an old PC is worth it, for me I think it was. Even though I now have a much faster PC there are still some reasons I want a separate PC for XP. At today's prices of $53 to upgrade from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz, It's even more worthwhile.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Well, I think building your own is a great experience. It can usually save you money but not always. Some research into PC components, parts and compatibility is necessary but when you are done you will be much more tech savvy and have a great degree of personal satisfaction. As well as a PC that was built to your specs with your exact needs and budget in mind.

IMHO the best place to shop for PC hardware is http://www.newegg.com another good place is http://www.tigerdirect.com TigerDirect also has Barebones Computer Kits which have most of the parts you need in a DIY kit minus the OS.

As far as using your old computers parts, if your PC was using a Pentium 4 or similarly aged CPU I would stay away from that for these reasons:

#1-Very few of those parts will be compatible.

#2-They are OLD and could die at any time. PC years are like Dog years on steroids. An 8yr old PC is a fossil!

#3-They aren't worth much. You could try to part it out on eBay. You won't get much but, you may find someone in need of parts for an old PC.

#4-They really, really, really, aren't worth much! To give you an example: when I first bought my Dell Dimension 4700 I bought 2-1GB sticks of DDR2 for $480, 3yrs ago I added 2 more for $47. Back then a 160GB hard drive was about $160. Now $165.99 will get you a 3TB hard drive (3,000GB). That's 18.75 times larger for almost the same price and the same goes for the rest of the hardware.

If you decide to build your own or are even just entertaining the idea read this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice You don't have to know everything in the template but the more info you can offer, the better the quality of response will be. Don't be afraid to ask. After all none of us new anything either, until we did. :sol:

kiwiturkey

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
should i upgrade or buy a new one?
Basic components:
Sapphire Radeon 3850HD
Intel Pentium 4
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8S661FXMP-RZ (Socket 478 really old...)
I heard my graphics card can run crysis pretty smoothly, so i would assume diablo too

Quite honestly, there's not much sense in upgrading that system. With that mobo, your stuck with P4's, none of which would be a large enough upgrade to make it worthwhile (even though you haven't said WHICH P4 you have, but that's really beside the point).

Also, that GPU was good in its day, but any current mid-range GPU would be much better.

A new system is a much better investment for you.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I think it's time (actually way past) to go new. Unfortunately none of those parts are salvageable for a new build.
Although that PC probably cost a fair amount of money when you bought it, by today's standards it's very old tech. Even the video card which was probably very good in it's day uses an antiquated AGP slot instead of PCIe which has been around for about 8 or more years now. The fair market value for that PC is probably around $50-$75 now.

I'm not trying to be rude, just honest. This was a good PC in it's day but that day is gone. Time for a new one.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Well like I said:
If you decide to build your own or are even just entertaining the idea read this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice You don't have to know everything in the template but the more info you can offer, the better the quality of response will be.
Don't worry about the info you don't know yet, just provide what you can and post it in: "Forum / Systems : New Build" you'll probably get lots of help.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Waiting to see if you post your over query in "Forum / Systems : New Build" and I see you haven't yet. You really should that's where you'll get the best results.

I also just noticed this thread there: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/348582-31-need-building-high-quality-gaming-comp The poster is asking a very similar question to yours (Need help building a high-quality gaming comp for $500). You might want to check it out. :sol: