Sign in with
Your question

Random Freezing

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2012 1:52:01 PM

I cannot figure out this problem. I just built this new system for my MIL and I get random freezes. Yesterday I ran memtest86 for four hours and got no errors. I ran prime 95 overnight and got no errors. Finally I checked the hdd health and all seem to be good. I even underclocked the RAM thinking maybe that was the issue and still I get random freezes.

I figured I would have tackled the issue by now but I havent so I would like some other opinions on what I should look at.

Specs:

Mobo- ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU- AMD Athlon II X3 400e 2.2Ghz
PS- Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W 80+ Cert
RAM- G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1333 (underclocked to 1066)
HDD:
Refurb- seagate 320gb 7200
Old- seagate 200gb 7200 (from her old computer)

More about : random freezing

February 10, 2012 2:26:39 PM

PC can freeze for the 1 million reasons, best way to start diagnose is
once you install just windows does it work OK? (i mean just windows and nothing else, not even Skype to chat)
if it worked OK, and later started doing bonkers, have to back track to what you done to make it do so,
if you can't even install windows there probably something wrong with hardware, or the way you connected it.

The reason is even simple single program can make your windows completely unstable.
(Old network driver made windows unstable for me last build)
m
l
February 10, 2012 2:46:02 PM

This is a brand new build and windows works fine until if freezes. It will just go and freeze on a random basis. I haven't added much to this computer yet, the only things I have done was transfer files to the new hard drive and created a back up. I did dl Minecraft but it froze before that was installed.

I could re-install windows to rule out a bad install?
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2012 2:49:14 PM

Are you sure the processor fan is properly attached and your thermal paste is all OK ? CPU overheating can cause a freeze or an instant shutdown.
m
l
February 10, 2012 3:05:31 PM

Barkster said:
Are you sure the processor fan is properly attached and your thermal paste is all OK ? CPU overheating can cause a freeze or an instant shutdown.

I have core temp installed and temps aren't even reaching 30c idle. They stay around 25-27c. Even running prime 95 it was saying my temps were around 37-39c.

Well I Just bumped the CPU voltage up by 10mV and it is running a bit hotter right at 29c.

the only time I can get it too freeze for sure is when I play MC other than that its random.
m
l
!