Tags:
  • Build
  • PCI
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2012 2:21:20 PM

I've been inspired by ya'll to build a PC but I have a question... and it's most likely not my last so I apologize in advanced!

I've decided to go with the i7-2600K CPU and now am looking to buy a MOBO. How many PCI slots do I really need/ what hooks up to PCI slots?

Would something like this suffice? Keep in mind this is my first build and I'm looking to use the PC primarily for moderate video editing (not at a professional level)... Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157271

Thanks!

More about : buying motherboard 1st build

February 10, 2012 2:23:35 PM

You messed up on the link. The dots appear instead of the full url.

But that is a good board. It should run video software fine.
m
l
February 10, 2012 2:55:20 PM

Any motherboard regardless of price will perform almost exactly the same as the next, I would buy a board based on reviews for reliability, price and options you prefer.

Too many to choose from!

m
l
a c 283 V Motherboard
February 10, 2012 2:59:34 PM

The 2600K is an excellent pick for video editing.

In order to raise the "K" multiplier, you will want a P67 or Z68 based motherboard. Most any will do.
If you have no need for a discrete gaming graphics card, and will use the integrated 2600K graphics, you will need the Z68.
The motherboard you linked will do fine.

A full ATX motherboard will have 7 expansion slots of various kinds.
A M-ATX motherboard will have 4, and a m-ITX will have only one.
Each will have at least one x16 pcie graphics slot.

For most of us, we do not need any extra slots since modern motherboards have already included functions such as sound or lan connections that previously were implemented with add on cards.

As a rule, smaller motherboards will cost less. I like them because they can fit in smaller cases.
Here is an example of a M-atx asrock z68 motherboard for less:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, for video editing, I suggest you get a 16gb(4 x 4gb) ram kit. Ram is cheap, and extra ram can be used to hold more data in ram for editing, lessening the performance hit of doing i/o to hard drives.
m
l
!