Sign in with
Your question

How can i shave money of this build?

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2012 2:33:33 PM

Hi, just a quick question. How can i shave money of this build?

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)

Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

More about : shave money build

February 10, 2012 3:17:57 PM

Hmmm. You're putting in things that come with the mobo by the looks of it (USB options, network facilities). We also need to know your budget and intended usage. However, as a starter for ten:

1) Get a cheaper case. There are plenty of good, budget-minded cases out there that will ventilate your rig.

2) Don't get a bluray drive, unless you specifically need one. You don't need it for games, and likely never will with services such as Steam.

3) Get an i3-2120...an i5 CPU is expensive, and most games will run fine with a dual-core CPU.
February 10, 2012 3:52:54 PM

You could also drop down to a smaller HD and buy an additional one when that one fills up. Prices are high and hopefully begin to drop over the next year or so.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 3:58:10 PM

What budget are you aiming for?
February 10, 2012 4:13:26 PM

you could drop the 560ti and get a cheaper card like the 6850/6870.

Ditch the BR drive as stated.

DO get a i5 2500. It will keep the build modern when win8 comes out and has much better support for multithreaded stuff.

Also check this MOBO out for some cost savings while keeping the same features.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 10, 2012 4:17:43 PM

if i were to get a processor id get nutin lower than a i5 2500k
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 4:47:41 PM

For gaming stick with the GTX560ti. It is the prime contributor to performance.

A GTX560Ti needs 500w with 30a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.
If you can find a quality 500w psu that is significantly less expensive, then you might supstitute. A 600w psu is strong enough to run a GTX580 or even a 7970.

How many motherboard expansion slots will you possibly use? For most of us, it is just one, the X16 pci-e graphics slot.
A full atx motherboard, like you indicated has 7 expansion slots. A m-ATX motherboard will be smaller, and cheaper, with only 4 expansion slots. That should be sufficient. It looks like you will be connected via wireless N. If so, you will need one slot for that. If you do not need wireless N, then the motherboard lan will suffice. If you will not be using a "K" suffix cpu, you do not need a Z68 based motherboard. A H61/H67/P67 motherboard will usually be cheaper.

A case is a good place to econimize. Any case with a 120mm intake fan will privide adequate cooling for your cpu and graphics card.
Look at the Antec 100-200-300 cases. They are well built, with good ventilation, and are inexpensive. On a real short budget, I would even look for a cheap noname case, or perhaps a used one.

The stock Intel cooler will be fine, even for a modest overclock.

As to the cpu, I think a dual core cpu like the Intel i3-2120 or even a G860 will be appropriate for your graphics card.
Read these two articles:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

DDR3 ram is fine, no real benefit from faster. But, since ram is so cheap, I suggest a 8gb kit(2 x 4gb) of the cheapest you can find. No need for fancy heat spreaders.

Hard drives prices are crazy today. Consider buying a ssd for the os and a few apps for now, and getting a hard drive for expansion later when prices are more reasonable. A ssd will make a major performance difference in everyday work. A 60gb unit can hold the os and a few games. 80gb might be better if you can handle the budget.
Look first to Intel or samsung for reliability.
February 10, 2012 7:23:49 PM

Thank's for the reply's, I have a budget of £800-£900. The total cost of this build comes to around £850. Would prefer to get it under £800, in terms of usage; the two main uses will be gaming such as battlefield 3, and the other use will be for a game developer course i am starting.

February 11, 2012 7:11:48 AM

Where are you buying your kit for that build to be £850? I've put it together with a couple of tweaks (no Bluray drive, 8GB RAM, 650W PSU) as well as including Windows 7 for £760.

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show....

You could get the retail version of Windows for a few more quid, which would bring you up to the £800 mark, but it's probably not worth it.
!