Virtual Machine Switch (router?)

uuhitelance

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello,

I currently have one computer running 5 virtual machines, and am looking to EXPAND.

Strictly for wired Connections, which switch (router?) would perform the best for possibly up to 20+ connections? (planning on upgrading) (physical connections would only be 4-6)

Note, no single connection really requires more then 5mb/s, but i'd like them to be "quick" (low latency)

(I do not know if the virtual machine part adds complexity to the problem, so figured i'd ask.)

Solution
The potential problem here is not the switch, it’s the lack of network adapters (I’m assuming you only have one). All the VMs are mapped onto a single physical network adapter. That might cause a problem, either w/ bandwidth and/or latency. Just depends on the application and real world network usage. So if you want better performance, the switch isn’t really the problem. You need to spread the network load among more physical network adapters on the server!
The potential problem here is not the switch, it’s the lack of network adapters (I’m assuming you only have one). All the VMs are mapped onto a single physical network adapter. That might cause a problem, either w/ bandwidth and/or latency. Just depends on the application and real world network usage. So if you want better performance, the switch isn’t really the problem. You need to spread the network load among more physical network adapters on the server!

Solution

Latest posts