Shooting the moon

I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
pointers are welcome.

--
John
12 answers Last reply

    "John Tucker" <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> writes:
    > I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
    > clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
    > pointers are welcome.

    Get a longer lens or a teleconverter. Other than that, expose by
    the sunny 16 rule.

    "John Tucker" <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
    >clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
    >pointers are welcome.

    Here's my attempt with a similar setup.
    http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/38986191

    I picked up the tips here and went with 1/ISO for the shutter speed @ F-11.

    I also used a 2x teleconverter. I think you'll find you need one. This
    image was taken without the converter.
    http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/38900253

    HTH

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
    > "John Tucker" <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
    >>clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
    >>pointers are welcome.
    >>

    > Here's my attempt with a similar setup.
    > http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/38986191
    >
    > I picked up the tips here and went with 1/ISO for the shutter speed @ F-11.
    >
    > I also used a 2x teleconverter. I think you'll find you need one. This
    > image was taken without the converter.
    > http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/image/38900253

    OK now I've got a decent sample to share:
    <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/neighborhoods/2005-05-21-berkeley-marina/moon>
    I just let the camera expose at wide open aperture 400mm including
    teleconverter and it was much too bright (-2.7 EC in the raw
    conversion). The shot was at sunset with a blueish sky darkened here.
    Maybe the blue in the sky caused the yellow moon. It was also quite near
    the horizon. I don't know what caused that awful halo along the top
    edge, it was hand held with vibration reduction turned on.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    In message <7xr7fw6nv2.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
    Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

    >"John Tucker" <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> writes:
    >> I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
    >> clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
    >> pointers are welcome.
    >
    >Get a longer lens or a teleconverter. Other than that, expose by
    >the sunny 16 rule.

    That will result in a fairly dark moon, especially if you're shooting
    RAW and "exposing to the right".

    A good starting point is sunny f/8 or so for RAW; sunny f/11 for JPEG.

    For RAW, I think I got the best results with ISO 400, 1/400s, f/7.1 with
    my 10D.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    Cameratown has a listing of night photography tutorials:
    http://www.cameratown.com/guides/tutorial_listing.cfm/hurl/id|39

    "photoshare" <photoshare@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Cameratown has a listing of night photography tutorials:
    > http://www.cameratown.com/guides/tutorial_listing.cfm/hurl/id|39

    Shot this two nights ago, in Elstree, Herts. 16 miles NW of London UK.

    Canon 20D, Tamron 80-210 (128-336).

    5 Second intervals, 100ASA, f5.6 @ 1/125.

    Of course a longer lens would be lovely.

    http://www.jonmitchell.demon.co.uk/images/Full%20Moon.mov

    Hope this helps.

    Jon

    UK Based 1stAC / Focus Puller

    "John Tucker" <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
    > clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
    > pointers are welcome.
    The diameter of the moon will be f/110; hence to get a decent size image you
    will need a 2x converter. You also need a rock solid tripod and head. A
    right angle finder will help prevent getting neck cramps.
    Although it has been suggested to use the sunny 16 rule (it is illuminated
    by the sun), I have found it better to use about f11.
    In addition, you need to pay attention to the histogram.
    Jim

    > --
    > John

    Try the moony 11 rules ... that is .. 1/ ISO , f/11 [or f/8] . a strong
    tripod and shooting in a non windy area would be great
    + you might need more than 300mm :)

    Here is one I shot a while back
    http://www.fotografer.net/lf/?id=166132&kode=709e61d691d8875d9fd6
    D1H + Nikkor 600mm f/5.6

    "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    429438f0$0$28806$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
    > Try the moony 11 rules ... that is .. 1/ ISO , f/11 [or f/8] . a strong
    > tripod and shooting in a non windy area would be great
    > + you might need more than 300mm :)

    Yes, 300 mm is not that much...
    http://www.dhost.info/photocanon/sigma/crw_0158_lune.htm?size=1&exif=

    With D Rebel + Sigma 70-300.

    --
    Mike

    "John Tucker" <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
    >clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
    >pointers are welcome.
    >
    > --
    > John
    The moon's a bit full at present for interesting photography (IMHO) - wait
    a few days for some shadows.
    Use a teleconvertor or a longer lens too.
    Deep,

    Jim wrote:

    > Although it has been suggested to use the sunny 16 rule (it is illuminated
    > by the sun), I have found it better to use about f11.
    > In addition, you need to pay attention to the histogram.
    > Jim

    The f/11 is needed because the moon is a very dark grey, much darker
    than 22%. Thus you need at least another stop open. Yeah, f/11 at
    1/film-speed is good for the moon.

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 02:22:04 GMT, "John Tucker"
    <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> wrote:

    >I have a Canon 300D, a 300mm f/4 zoom lens, and tripod. The sky is pretty
    >clear here tonight and I'd like to shoot the moon. Any suggestions or
    >pointers are welcome.
    >
    >--
    >John

    Can't help in the use of the zoom lens you have, but some of the
    better moon shots have been made with Spotting Scopes attached to the
    camera. With this approach you can fill the entire screen with the
    moon, or even a portion of the moon. When you have this situation,
    the exposure is straight forward - same as taking photos illuminated
    by sunlight, nothing extraordinary.

    Olin McDaniel

Photo Canon Zoom Cameras